- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Man Utd Midfielder: ‘Arsenal Wanted Me’
Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini has revealed that Arsenal were interested in signing him in the summer before he chose to move to Old Trafford.
The Belgian was one of the most talked about players during the summer transfer window with Arsenal, Chelsea and United all strongly linked with a move for the former Everton man.
Arsene Wenger was in the market for another central midfielder but ended up re-signing Mathieu Flamini on a free transfer while Fellaini eventually sealed a £27m move to United on transfer deadline day.
Now, the 25-year-old has confirmed our interest but claims David Moyes persuaded him to move to Old Trafford.
“I don’t want to tell you everything what happened during the transfer. This was done at the last minute.
“In a transfer window, there is always a list of players, you never know if it’s true or not. But for me, I knew [Moyes] was interested in me.
“Chelsea? No comment. Arsenal? It’s true, they were interested, but Manchester United convinced me to sign for them.” [source: Goal]
A lot of Gunners fans were crying out for the club to sign Fellaini in the summer but I always thought he’d follow Moyes to United and it seems his relationship with the Scot played a key role in his decision.
He’s hardly set the world alight with his performances so far this season though, and he also admitted that’s he’s finding it ‘difficult’ at the moment but is confident he’ll come good in the end. He added:
“David Moyes has given me confidence. When I was in trouble early at Everton, he helped me and supported me. He did everything for me to become a great player.
“I was criticised, nobody knew who I was. I succeeded because I worked a lot. That’s why I’m playing for Manchester United today.
“[I am not trying to] replace Scholes or Carrick or anyone. I try to play my own game. It is difficult at the moment, but I will succeed.”
We certainly needed a more physical presence in the middle of the park but I was never convinced Fellaini was the answer due to his lack of pace. Flamini has been a revelation since he returned to the club so I think we can be pleased with how things turned out in the end.
Would you have preferred we signed Fellaini to Flamini?