- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Wenger’s Dithering See’s Arsenal Miss Out On Key Transfer Target
So it looks like we’re about to miss out on one of our key transfer targets with Julio Cesar set to join Napoli on a season-long loan deal from Queens park Rangers, according to Sky Sports News.
Cesar has been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates this summer and many reports have claimed he was Wenger’s first choice goalkeeper with the boss believed to be lining up a £1.5m bid. The Brazilian was also understood to be keen on a move to Arsenal as he’d prefer to remain in London where he and his family are settled rather than return to Italy.
However, as the weeks went by no formal offer was tabled from Arsenal and it seems Cesar has grown tired of waiting around and is now on the cusp of joining Napoli on loan.
If, as the newspapers have been suggesting for months now, Wenger really is wanting to bring in an experienced keeper and Cesar was his first choice, then missing out on him is simply scandalous. He is the perfect option for us this summer. At 33 he’s vastly experienced, is a winner, Brazil’s No.1, has Premier League experience, is CHEAP and is at an age where he’ll not only be able to help Szczesny improve but he also wont pose a threat to the Pole’s long-term future at the club.
I’ve been left disappointed with Arsenal missing out on player many times over the years, but this one just makes no sense. It’s not like the Juan Mata case where Wenger refused to sanction a multimillion pound deal. We’re talking about a £1-£2m transfer here. Or even a loan deal! Why are we not snapping him up on loan?!
The only reasons I can think of is that Wenger’s dithering and inability to make a decision has cost us once again, OR his team have been concentrating on other targets – in which case we need to increase our resources because a club the size of Arsenal should have enough man power to be able to multi-task and negotiate several deals at once.
There is of course the remote possibility that we’re in for someone better than Cesar, but I very much doubt this is the case, or perhaps more likely, the papers got it completely wrong and we were never looking to buy Cesar in the first place. If I was a betting man, I’d bet we’ll go into the new season with Wojciech Szczesny and Lukasz Fabianski as our top two goalkeepers.
Check out more Arsenal Transfer News
Are you disappointed Arsenal have missed out on Cesar? Or is Szczesny good enough?