- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
‘Arsenal’s Late Move For £60m Striker’ – The Most Ridiculous Transfer Story Yet
Silly season has certainly arrived Gooners. We’re all used to seeing some questionable transfer stories in the newspapers around this time of year, but surely this has to be the most ridiculous so far this summer?
If you haven’t seen it already, the Daily Star reported today that Arsenal made a shock late move to hijack West Ham’s bid to sign Andy Carroll from Liverpool. After a fairly successful loan spell at Upton Park last season, the powerful frontman passed his medical in London on Wednesday afternoon as he geared up to make the move permanent.
However, the newspaper claims that we made a late move to try and hijack the deal late last night only to be put off by the staggering figures West Ham were prepared to pay in order to land the former Newcastle United striker.
Sam Allardyce is believed to have paid Liverpool £16m – which could rise to £19m with additional add ons – and offered Carroll a SIX-YEAR deal worth £100,000-a-week with the option of extending the contract by a further two years, meaning the whole deal could end up costing them £60m. No wonder Wenger ran a mile!
Now it’s pretty clear that we’re after a striker this summer but Andy Carroll? Really?! Wenger has said some kind words about him in the past, particularly after he scored against us during his time at St James’ Park, but I’m struggling to believe the boss would try and sign him this summer.
He’s hardly your archetypal Wenger-signing, is he? The Frenchman isn’t a huge fan of over-priced Englishman and he’s a bit of a lumbering brute of a player who may struggle to fit in with Arsenal’s pretty, passing style of play. Personally, I’d have Olivier Giroud over Carroll any day of the week.
While the majority of newspapers chose to run stories claiming we’re close to signing Gonzalo Higuain from Real Madrid, the Star said we made a late move for Andy Carroll. I know which rumour I believe. What about you?