- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
“Arsenal Are A Great Team” – €35m Striker Praises Gunners Amid Transfer Talk
Some interesting quotes from Jackson Martinez to bring you today with the striker praising Arsenal amid rumours we’re interested in signing him this summer.
Martinez has been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates in recent weeks after netting 32 goals in 42 games for FC Porto last season.
Widespread reports have suggested Arsene Wenger is keen on luring him to North London after the boss said the striker has all the attributes needed to be a success in the Premier League.
A move to Italy has also been suggested by the media but Martinez distanced himself from talk of a ‘done deal’ with AC Milan last week, which prompted yet more talk that the striker could still be heading for Arsenal.
Thierry Henry fuelled the speculation after saying the Colombian hitman would be a success at the Emirates and Martinez has responded by saying the Gunners legend is one of his hero’s.
The 28-year-old went on to say that Arsenal are a ‘great team’ but insists he’s yet to make a decision over his future and his only focus is doing well at the Copa America.
“For me there are two players who I always admired most: Ronaldo, the phenomenon, and precisely Thierry Henry! It is a source of satisfaction and joy for me he made that comment,” Martinez told A Bola.
“Arsenal are a great team, in one of the world’s best teams, and I’m waiting to find out what my future holds. I still don’t know, but the day when I find out is getting closer. For now, I’m focused on the Copa America,”
I think it’s pretty clear that Martinez would be open to joining Arsenal as this isn’t the first time he’s praised the club, but I’m not sure Arsene will pay what’s required to land him.
Many reports claim Porto are demanding the full value of his €35m (£25m) buy-out clause and while Martinez is a deadly striker, that’s a lot of money to spend on a player who’s not yet proven himself outside of Portugal.
Don’t get me wrong, I actual agree that Martinez has everything needed to do well in England but until he’s done it, his signing will always be a risk and I’m just not convinced Arsene will gamble on him.
In the end, I think he’ll head off to Italy and we’ll either wait to see if we can land someone like Benzema or Higuain, or the boss may decide just to go with the striker’s he’s got next season.