- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Arsenal ‘In Talks’ With Agent, Player Wants £80k Contract – Report
According to reports today, Arsenal are in talks with the agent of Cheick Tiote about a potential £9m move from Newcastle this month.
The Express are claiming that despite the emergence of Francis Coquelin in recent weeks, Arsene Wenger is still looking to sign an experienced defensive midfielder and it seems we’ve renewed our interest in long-term target Tiote.
The newspaper suggests that the players representatives made it clear he wanted a three-and-a-half year deal worth £80,000 a week during negotiations and we’re now contemplating putting in a £9m bid.
Tiote claimed back in November that we had enquired about his services but he’s currently away at the African Cup of Nations with Ivory Coast so he wouldn’t be available until next month even if a deal was agreed.
However, I personally think the Express’s report is nothing more than idle speculation and I don’t see the boss bringing in any defensive midfielder this month, and certainly not Tiote.
We announced the signing of holding midfielder Krystian Bielik earlier today and Coquelin’s impressive form is sure to have caught the eye of the manager, so I think we’ll go until the end of the season with the options we have.
Only time will tell if that’s the right call but for me, the only other signing we’ll make it a central defender with Gabriel Paulista the most likely to arrive.