- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
Arsenal Make ‘Lucrative Contract Offer’ To £18m Midfield Target
It looks like Arsenal have stepped up their interest in Morgan Schneiderlin with reports claiming that we’ve now made a lucrative contract offer to the midfielder.
Arsene Wenger has been linked with a number of defensive midfielders this summer but some reports on Thursday suggested the boss may be ready to ditch plans to bring in a new anchorman and try Jack Wilshere out in the position.
However, it appears those reports could be wide of the mark as Goal claim we’ve now redoubled our efforts to land Schneiderlin after pulling out of a deal to sign Sami Khedira due to his wage demands.
The report states that after opening formal talks with Southampton over a potential deal, Arsenal officials have now put forward a lucrative contract offer to the 24-year-old through intermediary agents.
It’s not clear what the terms of the deal were, but Goal believe that Schneiderlin is now Arsene’s No.1 transfer target this summer and we will pull out all the stops to prevent him heading to Tottenham.
Our North London rivals are also understood to be keen on luring the Frenchman away from Southampton and the player has dropped hints he’d like to link-up with former boss Mauricio Pochettino again, but the promise of higher wages and the chance to play in the Champions League should be enough to tempt him to the Emirates.
The Saints aren’t going to let Schneiderlin leave without a fight though, and it’s understood they are demanding £18m for his signature, while Arsenal are believed to value him at closer to £15m.
That’s not a huge difference in valuations so if Arsene really does want him, we should be able to get a deal done and I think it would be a fantastic deal for the club as Schneiderlin has been outstanding over the past two seasons and he’s exactly the type of holding player we need to add to the team.