- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Wenger Stalling Over Signing New Two-Year Contract – Why The Delay?
Arsene Wenger has been speaking to the media today ahead of tomorrow’s clash with Norwich.
Along with questions about team news and Roy Hodgson’s ‘controversial ‘monkey’ comment, the boss was also quizzed about his future at Arsenal.
Recent reports have claimed that Wenger has been offered a new two-year contract following our superb start to the season, and until now it’s been fully expected that the Frenchman will commit his future to the club in the not too distant future.
However, while Wenger admitted that a new deal is on the table, he also confirmed that he is in no rush to sign it. The boss told reporters today:
‘Yes, I didn’t deny that (that a contract had been offered).
‘I just said what I said at the start of the season and nothing has changed.’
Wenger said back in August that he won’t decide his future until the end of the season, and it seems that is still the case despite our vast improvement on the field and the clubs hierarchy making it clear they want to get him tied down to a new deal.
So do we have anything to worry about? It’s difficult to say. Wenger is a loyal man – obviously as he’s turned down big offers from other clubs over the last 17 years – but why the delay in committing his future?
Will he walk if we have a poor season? Is he using his future as a motivational tool to the players?
I would be shocked if Wenger was to go just as his squad is reaching maturity and he’s finally able to bring in world class players like Mesut Ozil. My feeling is he’s in no rush to sign as he knows he’s going to, but if the offer is on the table surely it’s best for everyone if he just signs it now and stops all the speculation before it even begins.
Do you think Wenger will sign a new deal? Do you even want him to?!