- Arsenal boss claims Sanchez will sign new deal + Ozil update
- Arsenal well positioned to secure £50m deal for 31-goal hitman
- Key duo recalled in 3-4-3: My Arsenal starting XI vs Leicester
- [Photos] Double injury boost as Arsenal duo train ahead of Leicester
- Arsenal battling to sign £33m Ligue 1 star
- Team news: Wenger offers injury update on Oxlade-Chamberlain
- Arsenal to make £20m bid for Bundesliga midfielder [Mirror]
- Leicester suffer triple injury blow ahead of Arsenal clash
- Arsenal star left Wembley on crutches following FA Cup win
- [Tweets & Photos] Ozil, The Ox & more celebrate on Twitter after beating City
Arsenal ready to move for £40m Spaniard, Liverpool also keen
According to the Daily Star, Arsenal are ready to do-battle with Liverpool over the signing of Real Madrid’s £40-rated midfielder Marco Asensio this summer.
Despite continued doubts surrounding his future, it looks like Arsene Wenger is pressing ahead with his transfer plans and strengthening his attacking midfield options appears to be on the agenda.
With the likes of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere, Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez all approaching the final year of their contracts and Lucas Perez pushing for a move it looks like this is going to be a pivotal summer for Arsenal.
I’m expecting at least two of those players to leave the Emirates at the end of the season so Wenger is going to need to bring in replacements and Marco Asensio looks to be on the bosses radar.
The Daily Star are citing a report from Spanish outlet Don Balon that claims Arsenal have made Asensio a target this summer and are plotting a move for the Spanish youngster.
The newspaper says that while Madrid are keen to see him stay at the Bernabeu or perhaps leave on loan, an offer in the region of £40m could persuade them to cash-in.
Asensio joined Madrid from Mallorca in 2014 and while he’s proven himself to be one of the best young talents in Spain, he’s struggled to establish himself as a regular under Zinedine Zidane.
He’d certainly be an exciting addition to the squad if we managed to get a deal agreed, however, the Daily Star claim that Liverpool are ready to battle it out with Arsenal over his signature while Sevilla and Juventus are also understood to be keen.
We’re going to face plenty of competition for Asensio this summer but while I do think he’s a great young talent, I worry that we should be going for more established names rather than unproven potential.