- Leicester suffer triple injury blow ahead of Arsenal clash
- Arsenal star left Wembley on crutches following FA Cup win
- [Tweets & Photos] Ozil, The Ox & more celebrate on Twitter after beating City
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Gabriel & Holding superb
- Video: Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Sanchez fires Gunners to final
- Teams: Arsenal v Man City: Wenger sticks with 3-4-3
- 23-year-old international ‘will join Arsenal’ this summer [Mirror]
- Preview: Arsenal v Man City, attacker returns, Gibbs to start + prediction
- Key trio recalled in 3-4-3: My Arsenal starting XI vs Man City
- Arsenal face fight with Liverpool to land £50m star
International star responds to Arsenal move reports
According to the Mirror, Jack Butland says that reports linking him with a move to Arsenal this summer are ‘a positive’ but the keeper insists he’s only focussed on Stoke City.
Arsene Wenger looks increasingly likely to infuriate a growing number of Arsenal fans by signing a new deal and he’ll embark upon an overhaul of his squad this summer.
A new goalkeeper is expected to be on the agenda as David Ospina is set to leave after becoming frustrated with his number two status behind Petr Cech at the Emirates.
The Colombian international has been used in the Champions League and FA Cup this season but it seems he’s not content with the amount of game-time he’s getting and wants to play week-in, week-out.
The Mirror reported earlier this week that Wenger had already drawn up a list of potential replacements for Ospina and has made Jack Butland his prime target.
The 24-year-old has now responded to the speculation by saying that he’ll take Arsenal’s interest as a positive but insists he’s only focussed on getting back playing again with Stoke.
When quizzed about the Arsenal reports, Butland is quoted by the Mirror as saying:
“That’s football. It’s not anywhere near the transfer window yet, but that’s the way papers work.
“I just take it as a positive that I’m still thought about in the football world after so long out. But my focus is on Stoke, always has been, and playing well.”
Butland is currently working his way back to full fitness after suffering a serious injury while on England duty a year ago but he had developed in to one of the best keepers in the Premier League prior to his injury.
It seems Wenger rates him highly and while he’s being lined-up as Ospina’s replacement, I actually think he’d be close to taking Cech’s first team shirt if he was to join the club this summer.
I wouldn’t expect Butland to say anything else other than to commit himself to Stoke as he’s been out for a year and is under contract at the Britannia so he’s unlikely to come out and say he wants to leave.
However, I’d be surprised if the England international wouldn’t jump at the chance of joining Arsenal if we were able to agree a deal with Stoke this summer and I think he’d be a great addition to the squad.