- Leicester suffer triple injury blow ahead of Arsenal clash
- Arsenal star left Wembley on crutches following FA Cup win
- [Tweets & Photos] Ozil, The Ox & more celebrate on Twitter after beating City
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Gabriel & Holding superb
- Video: Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Sanchez fires Gunners to final
- Teams: Arsenal v Man City: Wenger sticks with 3-4-3
- 23-year-old international ‘will join Arsenal’ this summer [Mirror]
- Preview: Arsenal v Man City, attacker returns, Gibbs to start + prediction
- Key trio recalled in 3-4-3: My Arsenal starting XI vs Man City
- Arsenal face fight with Liverpool to land £50m star
Arsenal boss offers update on Sanchez & Ozil contract situations
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has offered an update on Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil’s contract situations and confirmed that negotiations have been postponed until the summer.
Both Sanchez and Ozil are approaching the final year of their contracts at the Emirates and so far we’ve been unable to reach an agreement over extensions with either player.
There have been various reports in the media claiming that our star duo are wanting in excess of £250,000-a-week, which would almost double their current wages.
Arsenal chairman Sir Chips Keswick has already warned that the club won’t over-stretch themselves to pay ridiculous wages leading to speculation that Sanchez and Ozil will leave this summer.
Wenger has now confirmed that with no agreement in place with their representatives, the club has decided to shelve any further negotiations until the end of the season so Alexis and Mesut can concentrate on playing football during the run-in.
When asked for an update on Sanchez, the boss is quoted as saying by the Daily Mail:
‘At the moment we have not got an agreement,’
‘We have decided to focus on the end of the season and talk about it in the summer, it is the same situation with Ozil because once you don’t find an agreement and it [the negotiation] lasts, it is not good so it is better you get it out and sit down in the summer.’
Obviously Arsenal fans are fearing the worst and it’s safe to say that Sanchez and Ozil will leave if we fail to qualify for the Champions League next season.
Both players are 28 so are in the peak of their careers and will want to be playing at the highest level, therefore, I don’t think there’s any chance of them signing new deals if we miss out on the top four.
I personally think the sporting/trophies side of things is just as important to them as the money and unfortunately we’ve shown once again this season that we’re not capable of sustaining a serious challenge for top honours.
We’ll have to see hot the season finishes and there’s a glimmer of hope we’ll be able to agree terms if we make the top four but I have a feeling both players will be off this summer.