- Arsenal to make £20m bid for Bundesliga midfielder [Mirror]
- Leicester suffer triple injury blow ahead of Arsenal clash
- Arsenal star left Wembley on crutches following FA Cup win
- [Tweets & Photos] Ozil, The Ox & more celebrate on Twitter after beating City
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Gabriel & Holding superb
- Video: Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Sanchez fires Gunners to final
- Teams: Arsenal v Man City: Wenger sticks with 3-4-3
- 23-year-old international ‘will join Arsenal’ this summer [Mirror]
- Preview: Arsenal v Man City, attacker returns, Gibbs to start + prediction
- Key trio recalled in 3-4-3: My Arsenal starting XI vs Man City
Arsenal boss confirms move for £50m-rated striker
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has confirmed that he tried to sign Kylian Mbappe last summer and has tipped the Monaco striker to have a great future ahead of him.
Mbappe has emerged as one of the hottest properties in world football this season having established himself as a regular starter in the Monaco first team.
The 18-year-old has scored 15 goals and provided a further 10 assists in his 29 appearances so far this season to help fire Monaco to the top of Ligue 1 and in to the knockout stages of the Champions League.
The French youngster’s performances this season have caught the attention of several top clubs throughout Europe but it seems Arsenal could have snapped him up before he was even on their radar.
That’s because Wenger has revealed he tried to land Mbappe last summer and says the teenager reminds him of Thierry Henry due to his intelligent movement and ‘cat-like’ finishing.
The boss is quoted as saying by the Express:
“Well, I approached him last year because I really believe that he has an exceptional future ahead of him, that he has all the qualities,”
“He reminds me of a young Thierry Henry with the same clever look about him, the same qualities of intelligence in his movements and cat-like finishing. So that’s why.
“I think he’s an exceptional talent who promises to have a great future. Unfortunately today, all these young players are in full view from very, very early on and all the big clubs want them.
“I hope the fact that everybody is already talking about him isn’t going to have a negative impact on his future.”
Mbappe has just over two years left to run on his current contract so Monaco could be under some pressure to cash-in this summer if an extension isn’t signed before the end of the season.
We’ll have to wait and see whether Arsenal decide to renew their interest but we’ll have to be prepared to pay huge money if we do as the Independent claim that Monaco will demand upwards of £50m for the striker.
That would smash our transfer record and no doubt we’d face plenty of competition for his signature so I personally think we’ve missed our chance to sign the French youngster.
Mbappe could be destined to join the ever-growing list of to players Wenger almost signed….