- Arsenal to make £20m bid for Bundesliga midfielder [Mirror]
- Leicester suffer triple injury blow ahead of Arsenal clash
- Arsenal star left Wembley on crutches following FA Cup win
- [Tweets & Photos] Ozil, The Ox & more celebrate on Twitter after beating City
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Gabriel & Holding superb
- Video: Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Sanchez fires Gunners to final
- Teams: Arsenal v Man City: Wenger sticks with 3-4-3
- 23-year-old international ‘will join Arsenal’ this summer [Mirror]
- Preview: Arsenal v Man City, attacker returns, Gibbs to start + prediction
- Key trio recalled in 3-4-3: My Arsenal starting XI vs Man City
Arsenal in talks over £51m deal for world class attacker
According to a report in WhoScored?, Arsenal have opened talks with Borussia Dortmund over a potential £51m deal to sign Marco Reus this summer as Arsene Wenger makes plans for life after Alexis Sanchez.
Our Chilean superstar is in the final 18 months of his contract and so far we’ve been unable to agree terms over an extension, despite holding several rounds of talks with his representatives.
If Sanchez hasn’t penned a new deal by the summer we may be forced to cash-in rather than risk losing him for nothing in 2018 so understandably we’re lining-up potential replacements.
WhoScored? are carrying an ‘exclusive’ from Italian journalist Emanuele Giulianelli who claims that Wenger has identified Marco Reus as his prime target to replace Sanchez should the 28-year-old leave this summer.
The report indicates that Arsenal have already opened preliminary negotiations with Dortmund and are ready to pay £50.9m to secure his signature, although the Bundesliga giants are under no immediate pressure to sell as Reus’s current contract runs until 2019.
Negotiations are expected to drag on over the coming months ahead of a potential summer switch but Giulianelli claims that Arsenal will offer Reus a five-year deal worth £6.8m-per-season to make the move to north London.
Reus has long been linked with a move to Arsenal so it’s no surprise to read he’s on our radar again and he has all the attributes to be an excellent replacement for Sanchez if he does end up leaving.
The 27-year-old is capable of playing anywhere across the front three positions and has scored an impressive 80 goals and provided 59 assists in his 172 appearances for Dortmund, so he’s the kind of world class talent we should be looking at.
Obviously I pray that Sanchez signs a new deal but if the worst was to happen and he leaves, then Reus was be an excellent addition. However, the only concern with the German international is his injury record as he’s been plagued by serious injuries in recent years and has managed to make just 5 starts in all competitions this season.