- Arsenal to make £20m bid for Bundesliga midfielder [Mirror]
- Leicester suffer triple injury blow ahead of Arsenal clash
- Arsenal star left Wembley on crutches following FA Cup win
- [Tweets & Photos] Ozil, The Ox & more celebrate on Twitter after beating City
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Gabriel & Holding superb
- Video: Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Sanchez fires Gunners to final
- Teams: Arsenal v Man City: Wenger sticks with 3-4-3
- 23-year-old international ‘will join Arsenal’ this summer [Mirror]
- Preview: Arsenal v Man City, attacker returns, Gibbs to start + prediction
- Key trio recalled in 3-4-3: My Arsenal starting XI vs Man City
Arsene Wenger on re-signing attacker & his January transfer plans
Arsene Wenger has spoken out on reports linking Arsenal with a move for former winger Serge Gnabry while he’s also given the latest on his transfer plans this month.
Gnabry joined Arsenal’s youth team from Stuttgart in 2011 and looked like he could go on to have a great career here after breaking in to the first team and scoring his first goal for the club against Swansea in 2013.
However, a series of injury problems derailed his progress and Gnabry made just 18 appearances for the club before spending a disastrous loan spell at West Brom last season where he played just 3 times.
The youngster decided against signing a new deal with Arsenal so with just 12 months left on his current contract, we were forced to cash-in and sold him to Werder Bremen in a £5m deal last summer.
Gnabry has been in superb form in the Bundesliga having scored 10 goals in 16 appearances for club and country this season and it’s led to speculation suggesting he could make a surprise return to the club.
However, when quizzed about the reports at his press conference today, Arsene insisted he has no plans to resign the German international and instead suggested that he could end up at Bayern Munich.
Wenger is quoted by the Daily Star as saying:
“No, we have sold Serge Gnabry definitely to Werder Bremen. At the time it looked like Bayern Munich were behind him.
“But at the moment we don’t look to re-sign him, no.”
So it doesn’t look like Gnabry will be heading back to the Emirates any time soon but can we expect to see any new faces arriving before the January transfer window shuts next week?
Well it’s highly unlikely as when Wenger was asked about his transfer plans ahead of Tuesday’s deadline, he told Arsenal.com today that he is not close to signing anyone.
on deadline day…
We are not on the verge of signing anyone.
Usually Wenger is coy with the press so he might have been keeping things close to his chest but I honestly don’t think we’ll be signing anyone this month.
The squad is in good health and there isn’t too many positions we desperately need to strengthen so I think the boss will go with what he’s got for the rest of the season.