- Arsenal to make £20m bid for Bundesliga midfielder [Mirror]
- Leicester suffer triple injury blow ahead of Arsenal clash
- Arsenal star left Wembley on crutches following FA Cup win
- [Tweets & Photos] Ozil, The Ox & more celebrate on Twitter after beating City
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Gabriel & Holding superb
- Video: Arsenal 2-1 Man City: Sanchez fires Gunners to final
- Teams: Arsenal v Man City: Wenger sticks with 3-4-3
- 23-year-old international ‘will join Arsenal’ this summer [Mirror]
- Preview: Arsenal v Man City, attacker returns, Gibbs to start + prediction
- Key trio recalled in 3-4-3: My Arsenal starting XI vs Man City
Chief agrees to sell for £51m, Arsenal free to sign long-term target
According to reports today, Arsenal could finally get their hands on Alvaro Morata as the striker is looking to leave Real Madrid and the La Liga giants are willing to sell for £51m.
As many of you will know, we’ve been constantly linked with Morata in recent years and reports back in the summer claimed that Arsene Wenger was desperate to land the forward when he was tipped to leave Juventus.
Once again, we missed out as the 24-year-old eventually made a move back to the Bernabeu after Madrid triggered a buyback clause in his contract which was inserted when he was sold to Juve in 2014.
However, predictably Morata has struggled to hold down a first team place at Madrid with the striker making just 6 league starts so far in what has been a hugely disappointing campaign.
The Metro are citing a report coming from Spanish outlet Diario Gol that claims Morata is now looking to leave after becoming increasingly frustrated with life on the bench and once again Arsenal’s name is being linked.
The newspaper says that we’ve shown the most serious interest so far but we’ll now face stiff competition from Chelsea with Antonio Conte also keen on signing the Spanish hitman as a potential replacement for Diego Costa – who’s expected to leave this summer.
The Metro report states that Madrid president Florentino Perez is ready to sell Morata as he’s grown tired of his bad attitude but the bad news is that the La Liga giants will want at least £51m to do business.
Arsenal could afford that kind of money but we won’t be able to compete with Chelsea on wages if that’s what it comes down to, so there’s still a long way to go before we see Morata in the famous Red & White.
Any potential deal will wait until the summer as I think we’ll only look to bring in a top class striker if we’re forced to sell Alexis Sanchez – who’ll have just one year remaining on his contract in June if he doesn’t agree an extension over the coming months.
I still pray the Chilean can be persuaded to stay in north London but if the worst happens and we decide to cash-in, then Morata would certainly be an interesting replacement.
The youngster has bags of quality and he just hasn’t been given the chance to fulfill his potential at Madrid, so I could see him really flourishing if given a more prominent role at a club like Arsenal.