- Revealed: When Wenger will announce his Arsenal future [report]
- [Video] Chile 3-1 Venezuela: Arsenal’s Sanchez scores stunner
- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
Arsenal eye La Liga star to replace 27-year-old – report
According to a report in the Telegraph, Arsenal remain keen on signing Valencia left-back Jose Gaya as a potential replacement for Kieran Gibbs – who’s expected to leave the club this summer.
Gibbs has entered the final 18 months of his current contract and is being strongly tipped to leave at the end of the season after failing to hold down a regular first team place.
The England international has started just 2 Premier League games this season and at 27, he clearly needs to be playing regularly at this stage of his career so I don’t think anyone would blame him for wanting to leave.
It could be argued that Gibbsy would be better off seeing out the final year of his deal and leaving on a free transfer in 2018 but the Telegraph claim he’s expected to seek a move away in the summer in order to boost his chances of making the England squad ahead of the 2018 World Cup.
That would leave a void to fill in the squad and while we’ve just snapped up 20-year-old Cohen Bramall from non-league Hednesford Town, the newspaper report says Wenger is still looking to bring in an established left-back.
Many names have been linked with a move to the Emirates in recent months but the Telegraph claim that Valencia’s Jose Gaya remains a prime target for Wenger after impressing scouts.
The 21-year-old has been with Valencia his entire career and is now considered one of Europe’s most promising young defenders after establishing himself as a first team regular 18 months ago.
Nacho Monreal has just turned 30 and he’s not been up to his usual high standards so far this season so Gaya would certainly push the Spaniard for the first team shirt if we could get a deal agreed next summer.