- Arsenal transfer news: £25m bid submitted for international star
- [Photos] Arsenal’s double boost as duo train ahead of Liverpool
- It’s A Summer Of Rebuilding If Sanchez And Wenger Leave
- [Photos & Videos] Ozil, Welbz & more star as Arsenal boys go bowling
- Arsenal handed injury boost as key man returns ahead of Liverpool
- 49-year old confirms to friends he’s replacing Wenger as Arsenal boss
- 5 Arsenal fixtures rescheduled after being chosen for live TV
- Arsenal boost: Liverpool star ruled out of crucial showdown
- Respected journo: 27-goal hitman could join Arsenal in £50m deal
- Cazorla replacement? Arsenal linked with a move for French midfielder
Team News: Arsenal boss confirms injury return + attacker ruled out
Arsene Wenger has given Arsenal.com a team news update ahead of Arsenal’s EFL Cup clash with Southampton on Wednesday night.
The boss has confirmed a fresh injury blow with the news that Olivier Giroud has been ruled out of the game after sustaining a groin injury during our win over Bournemouth at the weekend.
Giroud came on as a late subsittute on Sunday but still had enough time to pick up the problem – although the good news is that Wenger has described the issue as ‘slight’ so Olivier shouldn’t be out for too long.
Thankfully we have another striker returning from injury as Lucas Perez is back in the squad for tomorrow’s game after overcoming an ankle problem that’s kept him out for over five weeks.
Perez suffered the injury during our 2-0 win over Reading in the last round of the League Cup but he’s back in contention after returning to full training last week.
The final update from Wenger was regarding Mathieu Debuchy and the boss confirmed that the defender was due to undergo a scan today but they haven’t had the results back yet.
Debuchy made his first start in over a year on Sunday but his comeback didn’t last long as he limped off in the first half with a hamstring injury and is now set for another spell on the sidelines.
Wenger told the clubs website:
“Mathieu has a scan today [Tuesday] but we don’t have the results yet,”
“Lucas is in the squad and will will have a mixture of youth and experience, but still 90 per cent of the first-team squad.”
With Debuchy joining Hector Bellerin on the sidelines, it looks like Carl Jenkinson will come back in to the side tomorrow night while Perez is expected to lead the line up front with Giroud out and Sanchez rested.