- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
- Arsene Wenger offers injury update on Alexis Sanchez
Wenger confirms injured star is ‘ahead of schedule’ in recovery
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Lucas Perez is ahead of schedule in his recovery from an ankle injury and has already returned to light training.
Perez was sidelined after suffering ankle ligament damage following a strong challenge by Danzell Gravenberch during our EFL Cup win over Reading last month.
The Spanish hitman was initially ruled out for around six weeks but he took to Twitter earlier this month to suggest he was on track for a speedy recovery after uploading a video of himself doing training exercises.
Wenger has now confirmed that Perez is ahead of schedule in his recovery programme and has already resumed training – although the striker is still not ready to return to full training with the rest of the squad just yet.
The boss told Arsenal.com today:
He’s back in training already, but not with the squad. He’s ahead of schedule, yes.
Perez has found regular first team football hard to come by since joining the club from Deportivo La Coruna in the summer with the striker making just three stats so far.
However, I think he could be a useful player to have available as we approach the hectic festive period when the games come thick and fast so I’m glad to hear he’s on the mend and should be in contention again soon.
With Alexis Sanchez seemingly over his hamstring problem and Olivier Giroud fully fit we will have plenty of options up front once Perez is back in the squad, which can only be a good thing as we look to compete in three competitions over the coming weeks.