- Ozil & Sanchez out: My Arsenal XI to face Basel
- Arsenal drawn to face Preston in the 3rd round of the FA Cup
- Wenger’s team news: 1 player returns, 1 ruled out + Sanchez update
- [Photos] Triple injury boost for Arsenal as trio return to training
- [Player Ratings] Sanchez steals the show as Arsenal thrash West Ham
- Video: West Ham 1-5 Arsenal: Sanchez bags stunning hat trick
- Teams: West Ham v Arsenal: Xhaka & Gabriel start
- Man City duo Aguero & Fernandinho set to miss crucial Arsenal match
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains but no sign of striker ahead of West Ham
- [Video] Santi Cazorla confirms he’ll be back sooner than expected
Wenger confirms injured star is ‘ahead of schedule’ in recovery
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Lucas Perez is ahead of schedule in his recovery from an ankle injury and has already returned to light training.
Perez was sidelined after suffering ankle ligament damage following a strong challenge by Danzell Gravenberch during our EFL Cup win over Reading last month.
The Spanish hitman was initially ruled out for around six weeks but he took to Twitter earlier this month to suggest he was on track for a speedy recovery after uploading a video of himself doing training exercises.
Wenger has now confirmed that Perez is ahead of schedule in his recovery programme and has already resumed training – although the striker is still not ready to return to full training with the rest of the squad just yet.
The boss told Arsenal.com today:
He’s back in training already, but not with the squad. He’s ahead of schedule, yes.
Perez has found regular first team football hard to come by since joining the club from Deportivo La Coruna in the summer with the striker making just three stats so far.
However, I think he could be a useful player to have available as we approach the hectic festive period when the games come thick and fast so I’m glad to hear he’s on the mend and should be in contention again soon.
With Alexis Sanchez seemingly over his hamstring problem and Olivier Giroud fully fit we will have plenty of options up front once Perez is back in the squad, which can only be a good thing as we look to compete in three competitions over the coming weeks.