- Wenger speaks out on reported interest in world class attacker
- Arsenal in talks over signing of Ligue 1 attacker
- Arsenal boss confirms star has signed deal until 2018
- Arsenal boss confirms quadruple injury boost but attacker ruled out
- Midfield ‘hardman’ reveals reason behind failed Arsenal move
- [Photos] Arsenal fitness boost: quartet snapped in training today
- Arsenal legend: Sanchez could be heading to Bayern Munich
- Arsenal contract talks update: Wilshere, The Ox, Ozil, Alexis & more
- Barcelona midfielder confirms approach from Arsenal
- Arsenal boss lining-up big-money offer for Serie A hitman
Arsenal star explains why he rejected Man Utd & Tottenham
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has explained the reason why he snubbed the likes of Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur in order to sign for The Arsenal.
The Ox became one of the most sought-after youngsters in British football after coming through the youth ranks at Southampton before breaking in to the first team set-up in 2010.
He scored an impressive 10 goals in his first full season in League One and his potential caught the eye of of several Premier League clubs with all the top boys all vying for his signature before he sealed a £12m move to Arsenal in 2011.
The midfielder’s father, Mark, confirmed that they got a call from Sir Alex Ferguson with the then-Man Utd boss trying to lure him to Old Trafford while he also revealed interest from Liverpool and Tottenham before he opted for north London.
Speaking alongside his son on Goals on Sunday, Oxlade-Chamberlain senior is quoted as saying by Metro.
‘I had a phonecall from Sir Alex [Ferguson],’
“I think Tottenham were interested. Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United, Tottenham. Not bad at all.’
The 23-year-old midfielder also revealed the reason he snubbed the likes of United and Spurs for Arsenal and it seems Arsene Wenger played a key role in persuading the England international to come to the Emirates.
The Ox said that he was always a fan of Arsenal growing up but it was only after he spoke to Wenger that he made up his mind that he wanted to come to the club.
Oxlade-Chamberlain is quoted as saying by the Metro:
‘I’ve always liked Arsenal and growing up watching the way they played and the whole feel of the club, it just seemed like something I’d love to be a part of,’
‘I think obviously, Arsene, to be part of it, he is one in the process, he seemed like he knew the most about me.
‘When my dad spoke to Arsene he seemed to have a vision for me and a bit more insight into where he thought I could go and what he wanted for me.
‘That was almost like the icing on the cake and then from then on it was an easy decision.’
It’s safe to say Oxlade-Chamberlain hasn’t fulfilled his potential yet as he’s struggled to progress as we all had hoped when he first joined the club but he’s started this season positively so hopefully he can really push on over the coming campaign.