- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
- Arsene Wenger offers injury update on Alexis Sanchez
- Arsenal ready to snap-up Barca attacker for £25m [Times]
- Arsenal offer defender lucrative contract ahead of summer move
- Arsenal boss offers update on Sanchez & Ozil contract situations
- Arsenal suffer huge injury blow, star to miss crucial games
- International star responds to Arsenal move reports
- [Photos] Arsenal star trains despite ligament injury fears
Arsenal want to sign £52m-rated attacker but Man Utd also keen
According to the Mirror, Arsenal are keen to sign £52m-rated Benfica attacker Goncalo Guedes but will face stiff competition from Manchester United.
Guedes joined Benfica as a child and progressed through the youth ranks to become a first team regular last season where he made 27 appearances in all competitions.
The 19-year-old is now considered a key part of Rui Vitoria’s plans this season, starting in six of their eight games so far, with the youngster chipping in with one goal and two assists so far.
It looks as though his potential has caught the attention of Arsene Wenger as the Mirror are citing reports from the Manchester Evening News that claim Arsenal want to sign the talented winger.
The boss is always on the look out for new young talent and Guedes is one of the hottest properties in Portuguese football so it’s no surprise to hear we’re in the race for his signature.
However, any deal is still a long way from completion as the newspaper says that we’ll face some stiff competition from Manchester United as the Red Devils have also identified the teenager as a potential signing.
To make things even more complicated, the Mirror say that Guedes still has five years left to run on his contract so Benfica are under no pressure to sell and his buyout clause is set at a whopping £52m.
There is no way Wenger would pay anywhere near that kind of money for the unproven teenager so unless Benfica are willing to do business at a figure well below his buyout fee, I personally don’t think we’ll be seeing Guedes coming to Arsenal any time soon.