- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
- Arsene Wenger offers injury update on Alexis Sanchez
Arsenal keen on Serie A duo as Wenger steps-up striker hunt
According to the Daily Star, Arsenal are showing a keen interest in signing Genoa forward Leonardo Pavoletti while we are also keeping a close eye on Sassuolo striker Gregoire Defrel.
Arsene Wenger was under intense pressure to sign a striker during the summer and we eventually splashed out £17m on Lucas Perez after signing the 28-year-old from Deportivo La Coruna.
However, it appears the boss is still in the market for another front man as the Daily Star are citing reports coming out of Italy that claim we have sent scouts to keep an eye on Leonardo Pavoletti this season.
The 27-year-old joined Genoa in 2015 and has enjoyed an excellent start to the new campaign having scored three goals in his five appearances so far after netting 14 Serie A goals last year.
Pavoletti still has three years left to run on his current contract and the newspaper says we could face stiff competition from Liverpool as the Merseysiders have also been showing a keen interest in the striker.
So it’s no surprise that Wenger is keeping his options open as the Star claims that we have also had our scouts watch Sassuolo forward Gregoire Defrel in recent weeks.
Coincidentally, the 25-year-old joined Sassuolo to replace Pavoletti in 2015 and the Frenchman has hit the ground running this season having scored 7 goals and provided 4 assists in his 11 appearances so far.
It’s certainly going to be interesting to see what Wenger decides to do in the striker department next season [if he extends his contract] as I have a feeling this will be Giroud’s final season at the club so I expect we’ll be in the market for a new frontman next summer.
Obviously neither Pavoletti or Defrel would be a ‘marquee’ signings and I expect Wenger to make fresh attempts to sign one of his prime targets again next summer, so the Serie A duo are most likely just back-up plans like Perez was this year.