- Revealed: When Wenger will announce his Arsenal future [report]
- [Video] Chile 3-1 Venezuela: Arsenal’s Sanchez scores stunner
- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
Arsenal star pens new lucrative deal & takes Wilshere’s No.10 shirt
According to German outlet Bild [via the Express], Mesut Ozil has agreed a new lucrative contract at Arsenal and will also take Jack Wilshere’s No.10 shirt.
Ozil’s current deal was due to expire in 2018 and there has been plenty of speculation surrounding his future in recent months after Arsene Wenger confirmed that talks over an extension were put on hold over the summer.
The official reason given was that so the club could concentrate on strengthening the squad but some skeptics suggested that Ozil had put a hold on the negotiations until after the summer so he could see who we signed in the market.
It seems the German international has been suitably impressed by the arrivals of Mustafi, Xhaka, Holding and Perez as the Express are citing reports coming from Bild that claim Ozil has now put pen to paper over a new bumper extension with Arsenal.
The newspaper carries quotes from Bild journalist Henning Feint who claims that the 27-year-old has agreed a new ‘mega contract’ and as part of the deal will also inherit Jack Wilshere’s No.10 shirt.
Feint is quoted as saying:
“Mesut [Ozil] gets a new mega contract with Arsenal.
“He will now wear the number 10 instead of 11.”
In addition to this, well-known Arsenal fan and supposed club-insider @AFCamden also claims that Ozil has signed a new deal with the club after recently moving in to a new house in North London.
— Pablo (@AFCAMDEN) September 27, 2016
Obviously we’ll have to wait for official confirmation before we get too excited but it looks like Ozil has now committed his future to Arsenal and it’s a huge boost for the club as he’s an integral part of the team.
However, while having Mesut tied down to a new contract is great news, the suggestion that he’ll take the No.10 shirt cast further doubt over the long-term future of Wilshere.
Many questioned Jack’s future at the Emirates after he secured a surprise season-long loan switch to Bournemouth on deadline day and if he’s now lost his No.10 shirt, then it calls in to question whether he may have played his last game for the club.