- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains but no sign of striker ahead of West Ham
- [Video] Santi Cazorla confirms he’ll be back sooner than expected
- Preview: West Ham v Arsenal, team news, Xhaka to start + prediction
- Austrian confirms talks with Arsenal – could he really replace Wenger?
- Wenger confirms fresh injury blow + striker out for 4 more weeks
- Team News: Wenger’s update on Cazorla, Elneny & Giroud
- Giroud & Ramsey start in 4-2-3-1: My Arsenal XI to face West Ham
- Arsenal dealt huge blow after key man ruled out until March 2017
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla, Giroud & Elneny
- Wenger on attackers ‘long term’ serious injury & Welbeck update
Giroud replacement? Arsenal plotting move for £80m striker
According to a report in the Daily Star today, Arsenal are plotting a move for £80m-rated Atletico Madrid striker Antoine Griezmann but will face stiff competition from Chelsea and Man Utd.
Griezmann was linked with a move to the Emirates during the summer transfer window when Arsene Wenger was desperately trying to bring in a world class striker with Squawka reporting in August that the boss was ready to spend huge money to land the Frenchman.
The 25-year-old decided to remain at Atletico but his future at the Vicente Calderon has been thrown in to fresh doubt after he parted company with his agent – Grupo Santos – last week and announced that his father would be dealing with his affairs from now on.
Griezmann has previously suggested that he’d consider leaving Atletico if boss Diego Simeone was to leave and that has now become a distinct possibility after the Argentinean reduced his contract by two years – with his deal now set to expire in 2018.
All that has led to fresh speculation that Griezmann will be on the move next summer and the Daily Star claim that Arsenal are now eyeing a mega deal for the French international at the end of the season.
I think it’s safe to say that Griezmann would be a dream signing as he’s become one of the best forwards in world football over the past two seasons. We all saw at the Euro’s what he is capable of and he’s been a sensational signing for Atletico since they bought him from Real Sociedad in 2014.
Most fans have been crying out for a world class striker to come in and replace – or at least compete with – Giroud and while we did buy Lucas Perez last month, it’s safe to say Griezmann would be a level up from him and he’d be the ideal addition if we could somehow get a deal done.
However, understandably we aren’t the only club being linked as the Daily Star claim that Chelsea and Man Utd will also be among the clubs in the race for his signature if Griezmann decides to seek a new challenge next summer.
And then there is the financial side of things to worry about. Griezmann’s contract with Madrid runs until 2021 so they are under no pressure to sell and the newspaper suggests it would take around £80m to land the player.
Arsenal still have money available to spend on a marquee signing even after splashing around £90m this summer but I’m not sure we could compete with the likes of Chelsea or United on that sort of financial level, plus the huge wages the player would no doubt demand.
So as much as we’d all love to see the Frenchman join Arsenal next summer, I just don’t see it happening….