- Confirmed: Arsenal boss charged with misconduct by FA
- Arsenal eyeing £34.5m deal for Portuguese international
- Arsenal trio surprisingly named in BBC Team of the Week
- Arsene Wenger could be banned for Arsenal’s crucial trip to Chelsea
- Wenger criticises Arsenal star after poor display v Burnley
- [Video] Arsenal boss pushes official in tunnel following sending off
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-1 Burnley: Xhaka flops, Sanchez shines
- Video: Arsenal 2-1 Burnley: Last Gasp Sanchez panenka pen wins it
- Teams: Arsenal v Burnley: Bellerin on bench, Gabriel starts
- Preview: Arsenal v Burnley, team news, Giroud out + prediction
Wenger confirms Arsenal star is a major injury doubt for PSG clash
Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Laurent Koscielny is a major doubt for Tuesday night’s Champions League clash with Paris Saint-Germain due to an eye injury.
Koscielny suffered the problem during the final stages of Saturday’s dramatic 2-1 victory over Southampton when Jose Fonte caught the defender in the face with his boot shortly before Santi Cazorla netted a stoppage time winner.
The French international received treatment from the clubs medical team and his right eye appeared cut and badly swollen as Kos left the field at the final whistle.
Wenger has confirmed the 31-year-old is a doubt for tomorrow’s trip to the Parc des Princes to take on PSG as his eye has closed up.
The boss is quoted as saying by the Mirror:
“He will be a little bit of a concern. The eye is already very swollen and it is closed up.”
If his eye is closed obviously it’s going to be extremely difficult for Koscielny to see properly so unless the swelling subsides dramatically, I doubt we’ll see him starting against the French champions.
Another injury to a centre-back is the last thing we needed, especially someone as important as Koscielny, and with Gabriel and Per Mertesacker still unavailable, Rob Holding is on stand-by to play alongside Shkodran Mustafi on Tuesday.
It was certainly an interesting Saturday afternoon for Koscielny as not only did he take a kick to his face, but he scored a superb goal on his birthday to draw us level in the match.