- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal attacker lined-up for surprise move to Euro giants
According to Bild, European powerhouse Bayern Munich are eyeing a shock late swoop for Arsenal attacker Serge Gnabry and plan to immediately loan the winger out to Werder Bremen.
Gnabry has been with Arsenal since joining the clubs youth system from Stuttgart in 2011 and he looked to have made his breakthrough in to the first team during the 2013/14 season when he scored a lovely goal during a 2-1 win over Swansea.
However, the 21-year-old’s career was then hampered by injury problems and he spent an unsuccessful season out on loan at West Brom last year, where he made just three appearances.
Gnabry was selected in the Germany squad for this summers Olympic Games and the winger rediscovered his form in Rio after being named as the Germans Player of the Tournament having scored six goals en route to the final where they lost on penalties to hosts Brazil.
It seems that form has alerted Bayern Munich as German publication Bild claim that the Bundesliga champions are looking to sign Gnabry before tomorrow night’s deadline and then immediately loan him out to Werder Bremen.
Gnabry has less than 12 months left on his current contract so we may be forced to sell if Bayern put in a reasonable offer and the player makes it clear he won’t sign a new contract extension.
However, Arsene Wenger recently said he want’s to keep the attacker and extend his deal. The boss is quoted as saying by the Daily Star:
“I want to keep Serge Gnabry and extend his contract,” the Arsenal boss said earlier this month.
“I think we stood by him. He went to West Brom, didn’t play, we had to rebuild his confidence.
“I allowed him to go to the Olympics to help Germany. I think he’s here now for a long time.”
It’s certainly going to be interesting to see what happens with Gnabry. He’s not going to get a lot of game-time at Arsenal this season but it’s clear he won’t play at Bayern any time soon either – if he decided to join the German giants.
Serge is a huge talent and I’d hate to see him go so ideally he’ll sign a new long-term deal with Arsenal and then go back out on loan to get some much-needed first team football this season.