- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
- Arsene Wenger offers injury update on Alexis Sanchez
- Arsenal ready to snap-up Barca attacker for £25m [Times]
- Arsenal offer defender lucrative contract ahead of summer move
- Arsenal boss offers update on Sanchez & Ozil contract situations
- Arsenal suffer huge injury blow, star to miss crucial games
- International star responds to Arsenal move reports
- [Photos] Arsenal star trains despite ligament injury fears
Arsene Wenger admits he’s ‘close’ to making another signing
According to the Mirror, Arsene Wenger has admitted that Arsenal are ‘close’ to completing another signing but he refused to give away any specific name.
The boss has been widely criticised for his lack of spending once again this summer with Granit Xhaka and youngster Rob Holding the only significant new additions to the squad so far.
Wenger has constantly defended his transfer policy in recent weeks and once again hit back at reporters after Saturday night’s draw at Leicester after being questioned about his failure to bring in a new centre-back or striker.
With Gabriel joining Mertesacker on the sidelines, a new centre-back has become a priority and we’ve been strongly linked with a number of players in recent weeks but as yet no deal has been agreed.
However, Wenger has now revealed that Arsenal are in fact ‘close’ to making another signing before once again defending his transfer policy. He’s quoted as saying to BT Sport by the Mirror:
“Yes we are close [to another signing]. But I would say spending in itself is not a quality. Spending and buying the right players is a quality.”
“I am a bit fed up to always respond to the same things. We look and analyse absolutely everything and we have to make the right decisions.”
Understandably Wenger wouldn’t reveal the name of the player in question but I think it’s safe to say it’s probably Shkodran Mustafi as we’ve been strongly linked with the German international in recent days.
Widespread reports in the media have claimed we’re in negotiations with Valencia over a potential deal for the German international while the Daily Star reported on Friday that Mustafi could even undergo his medical on Monday.
We’ll have to wait and see if that turns out to be the case but Wenger himself has now confirmed that we’re close to making a signing so hopefully the deal will be wrapped-up soon.