- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
Arsenal in talks over deal for £40m La Liga star – reports
According to the Daily Mail, Arsenal are in negotiations with Atletico Madrid over what would be a stunning deal to sign £40m-rated centre-back Jose Gimenez.
As we all know, Arsene Wenger is desperately trying to bring in another central defender over the next fortnight after losing Gabriel and Per Mertesacker to injury.
The boss has been looking in to possible alternatives as our move for reported prime target Shkodran Mustafi has been stalling, with the club seemingly unwilling to meet Valencia’s £25m asking price.
Several names have been put forward by the world’s media and the latest is Jose Gimenez, with the Daily Mail claiming that we’ve entered talks with Atletico to discuss a potential deal for the young defender.
The newspaper suggests that Gimenez would be open to the idea of joining Arsenal but we’ll have to pay close to £40m to sign the highly-rated Uruguayan international – and unsurprisingly Wenger has ‘baulked’ at the Spaniard’s valuation.
It’s safe to say that if Arsene isn’t prepared to spend £25m on Mustafi it’s difficult to see him splashing out £40m on Gimenez so Atletico would need to substantially lower their valuation for a deal to happen.
Obviously Wenger may rate Gimenez higher than Mustafi and may be willing to pay a slight premium for the 21-year-old, but I would still be surprised if Arsenal were to spend over £30m on a centre-back given that we also desperately need to sign a top class striker.
It’s a shame as Gimenez would be a sensational signing as the South American has become one of the best young defenders in European football since establishing himself in Diego Simeone’s starting eleven 12 months ago.
I’d love to see us sign him but still think Mustafi is the more realistic target. Valencia are clearly playing hardball but I expect us to get a deal agreed in the end.
It’s not going to happen in time for the German international to face Leicester on Saturday, but hopefully we’ll have him available to take on Watford next weekend.