- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
- Team news: Arsenal duo ruled out but key quartet return for Swansea
- Arsenal doing battle with Spurs to sign German attacker – reports
Arsenal news: Mustafi in Liverpool talks, Mahrez agrees 4-year deal
It’s been another interesting day in the world of Arsenal transfers with developments on our pursuits of Shkodran Mustafi and Riyad Mahrez.
Mustafi off to Liverpool?
First up and according to Spanish outlet Cadena SER, Arsenal have some serious competition for the signature of Mustafi as Liverpool have supposedly opened talks with Valencia over a potential deal.
Mustafi has been widely reported to be Arsene Wenger’s prime target as the boss looks to bring in another centre-back after seeing Gabriel join Per Mertesacker on the sidelines.
However, we’ve struggled to agree a deal with Valencia as Wenger is refusing to meet their £25m valuation and it looks like that could lead to us missing out on the German international.
Cadena SER claim that Liverpool are now also in negotiations and could be willing to use £5m-rated attacker Luis Alberto as bait to secure a deal for Mustafi’s signature.
Obviously it would be another devastating blow for Arsenal if we missed out on Mustafi and saw him join Liverpool, however, I have my doubts over the validity of these reports.
It screams to me that Valencia have ‘leaked’ this information to the Spanish press to push Arsenal in to meeting their asking price. I’m sure Arsene will call their bluff, but I hope the boss has upped his poker game as he’s busting out in recent windows.
Mahrez commits to Leicester
While one saga continues, another one comes to a close as Leicester confirmed this evening that Riyad Mahrez has ended speculation over his future after signing a four year contract extension.
Mahrez has been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates this summer with various reports suggesting that he’d agreed terms over a move to Arsenal.
Many of these rumours emerged from foreign media outlets with some of the British newspapers insisting that Arsene held nothing more than a passing interest in the Algerian international.
I always said that I’d be shocked if we actually signed Mahrez this summer as a centre-back and striker are the priorities. If any move for a winger is to happen, I think we’ll see someone like Theo Walcott leave first.
So I’m not surprised at all to hear that Mahrez has signed a new deal with Leicester. I never thought he was coming to Arsenal so I certainly don’t see it as we’ve ‘missed out’ or been ‘snubbed’.
Anyway, time is running out for Wenger to bring in the centre-back and striker we desperately need if we’re to have a successful campaign. Tick-tock…..