- Arsenal ready to move for £40m Spaniard, Liverpool also keen
- Arsenal eye move for Czech Republic star – Coquelin replacement?
- Fixture change: Arsenal v Man Utd clash rescheduled for live TV
- Arsenal boss confirms key man has been ruled out for the season
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Cech, Sanchez, Ozil & Perez
- “I’m happy in London” – Sanchez offers huge update on Arsenal future
- Arsenal star to be given fitness check ahead of Man City clash
- Revealed: When Wenger will announce his Arsenal future [report]
- [Video] Chile 3-1 Venezuela: Arsenal’s Sanchez scores stunner
- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
Arsene Wenger confirms huge fitness blow ahead of Liverpool clash
Arsene Wenger has offered the latest team news ahead of Arsenal’s Premier League opener with Liverpool this weekend.
Unfortunately the boss has confirmed a huge blow with the news that Laurent Koscielny is not ready to face Merseysiders on Sunday afternoon.
Koscielny only began his pre-season training on Monday after enjoying an extended break following his exploits with France at Euro 2016 this summer.
So with just five days training under his belt, Wenger has confirmed that the 30-year-old won’t be fit when Liverpool arrive at the Emirates this weekend.
With Gabriel ruled out for up to eight weeks and Per Mertesacker out for another four months, it leaves us without our three first choice centre-backs for the start of the new season.
It’s a disastrous situation to be in and now Arsene is going to have to either play youngsters Rob Holding and Calum Chambers or move Nacho Monreal in to the middle of defence.
There was no word on Mesut Ozil or Olivier Giroud from Wenger but if Koscielny isn’t available, then it’s safe to say both attackers will also be out against Liverpool meaning we’ll have to play a much weakened squad this weekend.
Theo Walcott or Alexis Sanchez are expected to start up front while Aaron Ramsey could be deployed in a more advanced attacking midfield role in the absence of Ozil.
Wenger says Koscielny is "not ready" and "out of the game" against Liverpool.
— Mattias Karén (@MattiasKaren) August 12, 2016