- Arsenal ready to move for £40m Spaniard, Liverpool also keen
- Arsenal eye move for Czech Republic star – Coquelin replacement?
- Fixture change: Arsenal v Man Utd clash rescheduled for live TV
- Arsenal boss confirms key man has been ruled out for the season
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Cech, Sanchez, Ozil & Perez
- “I’m happy in London” – Sanchez offers huge update on Arsenal future
- Arsenal star to be given fitness check ahead of Man City clash
- Revealed: When Wenger will announce his Arsenal future [report]
- [Video] Chile 3-1 Venezuela: Arsenal’s Sanchez scores stunner
- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
Wenger confirms double blow ahead of Liverpool + Welbeck update
Arsene Wenger has confirmed a double injury blow ahead of Liverpool and has also given the latest on Danny Welbeck, Carl Jenkinson and Per Mertesacker injury situations.
Speaking to Arsenal.com, the boss revealed that while Jack Wilshere is back in light training following his minor knee injury, the midfielder will be short of fitness for this weekend’s Premier League opener.
In a double blow, Wenger also confirmed the news that Gabriel will be out for between six to eight weeks with an ankle problem meaning he won’t be back in action until the end of September at the earliest.
There was also an update on Jenkinson with the right-back said to be doing well in his recovery from a cruciate ligament injury and is expected to return in November.
Arsene revealed that Mertesacker has gone back to Germany to spend time with his family while he recovers from the knee injury that’s expected to keep him out for at least another four months.
However, there was some positive news to come from Wenger’s team news update as he confirmed that Welbeck’s latest scan was encouraging and the striker could be back in four to five months.
Here is what the boss told Arsenal.com ahead of our clash with Liverpool on Sunday:
Gabriel has an ankle problem, and will be out for six to eight weeks. It is a bit better than we feared at the start.
on Jack Wilshere…
Jack is doing well, but he will be short for Sunday. He is back in training but will not be completely ready for Sunday.
on Carl Jenkinson…
Carl is doing well, and he should be back in November. He is on schedule for his return.
on Per Mertesacker and Danny Welbeck…
We had very good news on Danny’s latest scan and Per is at the moment off his feet for three weeks, so of course if is a bit boring for him. He is with his family in Hannover, but on the football front he is very frustrated. We think it will be four to five months for both players.
Obviously the big problem we have for the Liverpool game is who to start at the back as with Gabriel and Mertesacker out with serious injuries, we have limited options in defence.
Laurent Koscielny returned to pre-season training on Monday and there’s a chance he’ll have to be rushed back with Calum Chambers and Rob Holding vying for a start alongside the Frenchman.
Although Wenger may decide to give Koscielny more time to build up his fitness and move Nacho Monreal in to the middle of defence with Kieran Gibbs coming in at left-back.