- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
Arsenal prepare big-money offer for Argentinean hitman – reports
According to the Daily Star, Arsenal are ready to test Inter Milan’s resolve with an offer of £29m plus Olivier Giroud for the signature of Mauro Icardi.
Arsene Wenger has made signing a centre-back his immediate priority following Gabriel’s untimely injury on Sunday night but bringing in a new top class striker is also imperative over the coming weeks.
Alexandre Lacazette has been widely reported to be our prime target after Lyon revealed that they’d rejected our opening £29.3m offer for the French international and some media outlets think we’re ready to go back in with an improved bid.
However, Icardi is another name that’s been strongly linked with a move to north London and reports in Italy last week suggested that the strikers agent had flown to England to hold talks with Arsenal officials.
It appears Arsene is serious about trying to land the Argentinean international, if you believe the latest reports, as the Daily Star are now reporting that Arsenal are ready to offer Inter £29m in cash PLUS Giroud in exchange for Icardi.
That offer could be very tempting for the Serie A outfit as it would give them a direct replacement plus a sizeable amount of money to reinvest in other areas of the squad, while the fact that Roberto Mancini has been sacked could also work in our favour.
However, we do face some stiff competition as the newspaper says that Napoli are ready to use their Higuain money to land Icardi and are lining-up a £50m cash bid of their own.
I’m not sure what to make of this news as our offer would value Icardi at over £50m as I think it’s safe to assume that Giroud should be valued at at least £21m in today’s market. I personally don’t think Icardi is worth that kind of money so I’d be shocked if these reports are accurate.
Plus, why on earth would we offer Giroud in exchange anyway? Surely the idea is to add a striker to our squad, not just replace Olivier? If we swapped them, then we’d be back to squad one and needing to bring in another striker to offer us options up front.
For that reason alone, I don’t believe the Daily Star’s latest report and I still think Lacazette is the most realistic target we’re going for.