- Arsenal ready to move for £40m Spaniard, Liverpool also keen
- Arsenal eye move for Czech Republic star – Coquelin replacement?
- Fixture change: Arsenal v Man Utd clash rescheduled for live TV
- Arsenal boss confirms key man has been ruled out for the season
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Cech, Sanchez, Ozil & Perez
- “I’m happy in London” – Sanchez offers huge update on Arsenal future
- Arsenal star to be given fitness check ahead of Man City clash
- Revealed: When Wenger will announce his Arsenal future [report]
- [Video] Chile 3-1 Venezuela: Arsenal’s Sanchez scores stunner
- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
Arsenal eyeing surprise £15m deal as Wenger steps-up defender hunt
According to the Mirror, Arsenal have a serious interest in signing West Brom centre-back Jonny Evans and could push ahead with a potential £15m deal if we can’t land No.1 target Shkodran Mustafi.
Arsene Wenger is determined to sign another senior central defender before the Liverpool game on Sunday following Gabriel’s unfortunate injury and Mustafi is widely believed to be the bosses main transfer target.
Sky Sports confirmed last month that we were in talks with Valencia over a deal for the £25m-rated defender while reports in Italy earlier today suggested that we are set to table a formal offer for the German international on Tuesday.
However, the Mirror claim that with Valencia looking for around £25m for the 24-year-old, Wenger has lined-up Evans as an alternative in-case we can’t get a deal agreed for Mustafi.
The paper says that West Brom will be willing to do business at around £15m making the Northern Ireland international a cheaper option compared to Mustafi, while he also has plenty of Premier League experience which will no doubt be attractive to Wenger.
However, I think it’s safe to say many Gunners’ fans would be outraged if we ended up signing the Manchester United flop. Sure, Evans is a decent centre-back on his day but he really isn’t the type of quality we should be looking for.
We shouldn’t only be looking for a player better than Gabriel but we should be buying an upgrade on Mertesacker, and there is no way Evans comes under that bracket.
Wenger should be targetting a top class centre-back and someone who can form a solid partnership with Koscielny. Not just making do with an average player like Evans.
So, I pray that we do all we can to get a deal agreed for Mustafi and let’s hope we can get it done within the next 48 hours as whoever we sign is going to need at least a couple of days training with his new team mates if he’s to be ready for the Liverpool game.