- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
- Team news: Arsenal duo ruled out but key quartet return for Swansea
- Arsenal doing battle with Spurs to sign German attacker – reports
Can Giroud become the league’s top goal scorer?
It’s been a while since an Arsenal player last won the golden boot award. In fact, one has to go back to the 2011/12 season when Robin Van Persie scored an incredible 30 goals for the Gunners. The question is, does Olivier Giroud have what it takes to be the league’s top goal scorer this season?
Giroud looks likely to be Arsenal’s main forward again this season despite rumours linking the club with a move for Lyon forward Alexandre Lacazette. Even if Lacazette does make the move to North London, Giroud will still see plenty of game time as any new signing takes time to adjust to a new team.
Paddy Power is backing Giroud for the golden boot with odds of 20/1. It is a long shot considering he’s up against the likes of Sergio Aguero, Harry Kane and Zlatan Ibrahimovich. The Frenchman has failed to deliver on a consistent basis for Arsenal since his arrival in 2012 and one feels that this season could be his last chance to impress.
Luckily for Giroud there are a number of factors in his favour. With the likes of Mesut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez and Santi Cazorla slotting in behind him, he will get countless goal scoring chances. Time and time again Arsenal fans have seen Giroud put clean through on goal only for him to scuff his shot or fire wildly wide. If Giroud can be more clinical this season he should be breaking the 20 goal mark.
With the signing of midfielder Granit Xhaka, the Arsenal backline should be more protected than it has been in the past and this will allow Arsenal’s attacking players to remain further up the pitch. On the counter-attack, Arsenal can be lethal by utilizing the pace of Sanchez and Walcott and Giroud will be hoping to finish off these attacks.
At 20/1 many will not even contemplate betting on Giroud for the golden boot but it’s about time he stood up and made himself a hero at Arsenal. If he manages to open his account early on and the goals start flowing, he will be up there with a chance. With so much creativity in the Arsenal midfield and numerous goal scoring opportunities teed up for him, now is the time.
To see the Top 7 strikers most likely to lead the Premier League as top goal scorer click here. If Harry Kane is to defend his title he has his work cut out.