- “It’s possible” – World class Arsenal target drops hint over move
- Confirmed: FA announce key Arsenal star has signed new contract
- [Photo] Banner of Alexis Sanchez’s dogs installed at Emirates
- Key man returns, Giroud out: My Arsenal XI vs Burnley
- Key update on Arsenal’s pursuit of Serie A star, £36m deal agreed
- Wenger speaks out on reported interest in world class attacker
- Arsenal in talks over signing of Ligue 1 attacker
- Arsenal boss confirms star has signed deal until 2018
- Arsenal boss confirms quadruple injury boost but attacker ruled out
- Midfield ‘hardman’ reveals reason behind failed Arsenal move
Arsenal table £13m offer for Serie A defender – reports
According to the Daily Star, Arsenal have tabled an opening £13.5m bid for Brazilian full-back Bruno Peres as Arsene Wenger looks to strengthen his defensive options this summer.
The boss has rightly made signing a new central defender a priority after losing Per Mertesacker for five months with a knee injury while a top class striker is also on his agenda.
However, with Mathieu Debuchy expected to make a permanent move away from the club this summer – most likely to Bordeaux – it looks like Arsene is also ready to dip in to the market for another right-back.
The Sun reported on Saturday that Arsenal officials had made contact with Torino to discuss a possible deal for Bruno Peres with the Brazilian understood to be keen on the idea of moving to north London.
It seems we’ve now formalised our interest as the Daily Star are quoting reports from Torino-based news outlet Toro News as saying that we’ve submitted a £13.5m offer.
The 26-year-old has developed in to one of the best right-back’s in Serie A in recent years so he’d provide great competition for Hector Bellerin if we do end up bringing him to the club this summer.
However, it seems there is still plenty of work left to do as Toro News feel our bid is likely to fall short as Tornio supposedly value Peres at nearer £17million.
Only time will tell whether we’ll decide to meet that figure but I personally think we should be concentrating our efforts on signing a centre-back and a striker at this time.
Debuchy is still at the club and Chambers and Holding are also capable of playing at right-back if required so there is no immediate need to splash out over £15m on Peres right now.
We should be using that money to buy the likes of Mustafi, Lacazette or Mahrez and then worry about a back-up right-back later in the transfer window once Debuchy leaves.