- Arsenal star to be given fitness check ahead of Man City clash
- Revealed: When Wenger will announce his Arsenal future [report]
- [Video] Chile 3-1 Venezuela: Arsenal’s Sanchez scores stunner
- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
Marin rules out Mustafi-Arsenal move despite £33.7m deal reports
Well-known Spanish journalist Kike Marin claims that Arsenal have no interest in signing Valencia defender Shkodran Mustafi despite reports suggesting we’re in talks over a potential £33.7m deal.
Arsene Wenger confirmed earlier this week that he’s going to have to bring in another centre-back after Per Mertesacker was ruled out for five months with a serious knee injury that he suffered against Lens last Friday.
Mustafi has emerged as a possible target with Sky Sports News reporting on Thursday that Arsenal officials were in talks with Valencia over a deal for the German international defender.
The report suggested that we could seal a deal worth £25.3m up front with a further £8.4m coming in additional add ons with Mustafi’s agent understood to have flown to Spain to try and help thrash out the move.
Arsenal fans were understandably excited by this news as it seemed like we were in the process of signing a top class central defender – which has now become a priority area that needs strengthening.
However, well known journalist Kike Marin – who works for Spanish outlet El Confidencial – has now taken to Twitter to claim that Arsenal have NO interest in signing Mustafi and he believes that we’re being used to ‘move the market’.
You can see his tweet below, which roughly translates to say:
The #Arsenal have 0 interest in Mustafi. Once again being used to move the market. #ValenciaCF find you out
It’s difficult to know how much to read in to Marin’s claim as like all journalists, he has a mixed record. He was one of the first to break the Mertesacker injury news but he’s got plenty of transfer-related stories wrong in the past.
I suppose all we can do is take ALL rumours with a pinch of salt and sit back and let Arsene do his job. Fingers crossed he manages to get a couple of players in quickly though as we’re going to be without seven first team regulars against Liverpool in two weeks time.
— Kike Marin** (@Kike_Marin_) July 29, 2016