- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
Arsenal could now be without these 5 key men against Liverpool
Arsenal could be without FIVE key first team players against Liverpool next month with Alexis Sanchez now a major doubt with an ankle injury, according to the Mirror.
We entertain the Merseysiders at the Emirates on August 14 on the opening weekend of the new Premier League season but the newspaper says that Arsenal fear Alexis will be ruled out of the game.
The 27-year-old suffered a nasty ankle injury during the early stages of last months Copa America final and after carrying the problem for most of the match, he was finally forced off in extra-time as Chile went on to beat Argentina in a penalty shoot-out.
Sanchez posted photos on Twitter of his gruesome ankle which was severely swollen and bruised and he’s been receiving treatment on the problem while enjoying his holidays.
Arsenal have been monitoring the situation and will make further assessments when Alexis returns to pre-season training last this month but the Mirror claim the club fears he will be forced to miss the Liverpool game.
If that turns out to be the case then we’re in real trouble as Olivier Giroud is certain to miss out as he isn’t due back for pre-season training until August 8 – just six days before the season opener.
With Welbeck out for another six/seven months with a knee injury, Wenger will be left with little option but to choose between Chuba Akpom or Theo Walcott as our main striker against Liverpool if Sanchez misses out.
Laurent Koscielny and Mesut Ozil are also set to miss the game as they’ll return back late for pre-season training having been granted an extended break following their exploits at Euro 2016.
Aaron Ramsey is another player who’ll be struggling for full fitness as he’s not due to begin his pre-season preparations until early August, meaning he’ll have less than two weeks to prepare for Liverpool.
Wenger regretted rushing Sanchez back too soon after the Copa America last summer so I highly doubt he’ll make that same mistake again this year. Therefore, we’re likely to be without FIVE key first team players against Liverpool; Sanchez, Ramsey, Giroud, Koscielny and Ozil.
Not the ideal way to start an important season, that’s for sure.