- Arsenal contract talks update: Wilshere, The Ox, Ozil, Alexis & more
- Barcelona midfielder confirms approach from Arsenal
- Arsenal boss lining-up big-money offer for Serie A hitman
- Arsenal star commits future to club after agreeing new contract
- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
Arsenal in pole position ahead of Chelsea to sign £65m star – report
According to a report in the Mirror, Arsenal are in pole position to secure a deal for £65m-rated striker Alvaro Morata as we’re able to offer him Champions League football.
Morata’s future is fast becoming one of the sagas of the summer as he’s heading back to Real Madrid after they activated a £23m buyback option to re-sign him from Juventus.
A final decision over whether he’ll stay and fight for his place at the Bernabeu or move on to find regular first team football will be made soon but the feeling is Madrid will cash-in to turn a quick profit.
Arsenal and Chelsea are among the clubs who’ve been strongly linked with a move for the 23-year-old in recent weeks but the Mirror claim today that we’re now in the driving seat as we can offer the striker Champions League football.
The Spaniard’s agent has already confirmed offers are on the table from England and the Blues were reportedly favourites earlier in the week but the newspaper believes that Morata is now cooling on a move to Stamford Bridge due to their lack of top flight European football.
Man Utd seem to be doing alright in luring top class players to Old Trafford without Champs League but apparently it’s high on Morata’s priority list, making us the new favourites for his signature if he does leave Madrid.
The Mirror also claim that Arsenal have not been put off by the La Liga giants £65m asking price – which I find extremely difficult to believe as I just don’t see Arsene Wenger paying that sort of money for Morata and I’d actually back him on this one as the striker simply isn’t worth £65m.
Morata is a fine player with the potential to be great but he’s nowhere near the finished article and has never managed to score more than 15 goals in any season throughout his career so far, so while I’d love to see us sign him this summer, not for £65m.