- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
French star linked with Man Utd open to £22m Arsenal move – report
According to talkSPORT, Blaise Matuidi is set to leave Paris Saint-Germain this summer in a £22m deal and Arsenal are among the clubs he’d be happy to join.
Matuidi moved to PSG from Saint-Etienne in 2010 and has become one of the top midfielders in Europe over the past five years with his impressive performances in the middle of the park helping the French giants secure three domestic trebles.
However, Polish star Grzegorz Krychowiak moved to the Parc des Princes at the weekend and it’s been suggested that Matuidi will be the man to make way as he’s not thought to be in new manager Unai Emery’s plans next season.
The Express reported earlier in the week that Matuidi had been granted permission to leave the French Euro 2016 training camp to fly to England to hold transfer talks with Manchester United over a potential move to Old Trafford.
However, United are yet to put a formal offer on the table and talkSPORT claim that Matuidi is open to the idea of joining any of the top Premier League sides, including Arsenal.
The 29-year-old is now understood to be waiting to see what offers come from England with the report suggesting PSG are willing to sell for around £22m – which sounds like a very reasonable deal considering Matuidi’s quality.
However, while I’m a huge fan of the Frenchman’s and would love to see him come to north London, even I struggle to see where he could fit in at Arsenal given the options Arsene Wenger already has in the middle of the park.
Granit Xhaka joined last month and he’ll battle-it-out with Jack Wilshere, Aaron Ramsey, Santi Cazorla, Mohamed Elneny and Francis Coquelin for two central midfield positions next season.
Therefore, unless one of those six players leave this summer, I don’t think we’ll see Wenger making any move for Matuidi. Which is a shame as he’d be a quality addition to the squad.