- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
French star linked with Man Utd open to £22m Arsenal move – report
According to talkSPORT, Blaise Matuidi is set to leave Paris Saint-Germain this summer in a £22m deal and Arsenal are among the clubs he’d be happy to join.
Matuidi moved to PSG from Saint-Etienne in 2010 and has become one of the top midfielders in Europe over the past five years with his impressive performances in the middle of the park helping the French giants secure three domestic trebles.
However, Polish star Grzegorz Krychowiak moved to the Parc des Princes at the weekend and it’s been suggested that Matuidi will be the man to make way as he’s not thought to be in new manager Unai Emery’s plans next season.
The Express reported earlier in the week that Matuidi had been granted permission to leave the French Euro 2016 training camp to fly to England to hold transfer talks with Manchester United over a potential move to Old Trafford.
However, United are yet to put a formal offer on the table and talkSPORT claim that Matuidi is open to the idea of joining any of the top Premier League sides, including Arsenal.
The 29-year-old is now understood to be waiting to see what offers come from England with the report suggesting PSG are willing to sell for around £22m – which sounds like a very reasonable deal considering Matuidi’s quality.
However, while I’m a huge fan of the Frenchman’s and would love to see him come to north London, even I struggle to see where he could fit in at Arsenal given the options Arsene Wenger already has in the middle of the park.
Granit Xhaka joined last month and he’ll battle-it-out with Jack Wilshere, Aaron Ramsey, Santi Cazorla, Mohamed Elneny and Francis Coquelin for two central midfield positions next season.
Therefore, unless one of those six players leave this summer, I don’t think we’ll see Wenger making any move for Matuidi. Which is a shame as he’d be a quality addition to the squad.