- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Arsenal interested in £50m attacker deal but Liverpool also keen
According to the Express, Arsenal are showing an interest in pursuing a deal for £50m-rated Wolfsburg attacker Julian Draxler but we could face competition from the likes of Liverpool.
Draxler is a name many Arsenal fans should know as he’s been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates in the past but we missed out as he joined Wolfsburg in a £25.5m deal from Schalke last summer.
The 22-year-old has continued to build a reputation as one of the most exciting youngsters in European footballing over the past 12 months and has been starring for Germany at Euro 2016 this summer.
It appears Arsene Wenger is ready to renew his interest in Draxler as the Express claim Arsenal are showing a keen interest in securing a £50m deal for the German international this summer.
I’d personally be surprised if the boss was prepared to pay that kind of money for the youngster as although he is a huge talent with bags of potential, Draxler isn’t worth £50m just yet.
However, even if we are ready to break our club record for the attacking midfielder the Express suggest that we’ll face stiff competition from Liverpool with Jurgen Klopp supposedly also hoping to lure his compatriot to the Premier League.
Wolfsburg sporting director Klaus Allofs has admitted that Draxler will eventually leave the Volkswagen Arena for a bigger club but insists he won’t be going anywhere this summer.
“It is clear that Wolfsburg is not the end of his dreams – neither was Schalke,” Allofs is quoted as saying by the Epxress
“There are clubs like Real Madrid, FC Barcelona or one or other club from England.
“But Julian knows exactly how the contractual situation is. He has a long-term contract with us. We plan to stick with it!”
We all know contracts aren’t worth the paper they are written on these days so if the money is right and Draxler wants to leave, a deal can most certainly be done this summer.
I’m a big fan of the player and the fact he can play anywhere across the attacking positions means he’d give us plenty of options in the final third. An attack of Sanchez, Ozil and Draxler behind a top class striker would be a mouth-watering prospect, but I just can’t see us going to £50m for the player.