- Arsenal star to be given fitness check ahead of Man City clash
- Revealed: When Wenger will announce his Arsenal future [report]
- [Video] Chile 3-1 Venezuela: Arsenal’s Sanchez scores stunner
- Huge update on Alexis Sanchez’s future at Arsenal
- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
Arsenal favourites to sign £45m hitman with Wenger due to meet agent
It looks like Alexandre Lacazette is emerging as Arsenal’s next prime target as Arsene Wenger tries to bring in a new striker this summer.
After missing out on Jamie Vardy, Wenger has been looking in to alternative targets and the Mirror reported earlier this week that the boss was due to hold talks with Lacazette’s agent in France this week.
The newspaper said that after scoring 75 goals in the last three seasons for Lyon, the Ligue 1 club were demanding around £45m for the 25-year-old’s signature this summer.
Even at that price there has been plenty of interest being shown in Lacazette but talkSPORT are now reporting that Arsenal are the favourites to sign the striker along with Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain.
The report claims that Tottenham and West Ham have also been pursuing Lacazette but talkSPORT say the striker has snubbed their advances as he wants to wait for Arsenal and PSG to make their moves.
However, it’s thought that the player would prefer to leave France if he does quit Lyon and has his eye set on a move to the Premier League, which if true, means we’re in pole position to sign the French international.
Arsene Wenger did little to play down the speculation after refusing to rule out a move for Lacazette earlier this week. Speaking on Canal+ Sport, when asked about a move for the striker, the boss is quoted as saying by the Metro:
‘I neither confirm or deny interest,’
‘If I say that I like the player it starts speculation.’
So Lacazette is now the hot-name to be linked with Arsenal but we’ll have to wait and see if anything comes from all these reports. I’m sure the boss is looking in to several potential deals but I’d personally be surprised if he ends up splashing out £45m on Lacazette.
He’s got an excellent goal-scoring record in Ligue 1 and has plenty of potential but he’s not selected ahead of Giroud for France – in fact he didn’t even make their squad for Euro 2016 – so it’s difficult to see him being regarded as an upgrade on what we’ve already got.
He is fast, strong and knows where the goal is so he might come to Arsenal and be a real hit but I’d personally rather we spent a little bit extra and went all-out for the likes of Benzema, Higuain or Aubameyang.