- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
Arsenal open talks with Spurs over audacious attacker swoop – report
According to Italian journalist Emanuele Giulianelli, Arsenal have made contact with Tottenham to discuss a shock deal to sign youngster Dele Alli this summer.
Arsene Wenger has been keen to get his transfer business done early this transfer window and has already splashed out on the signing of Swiss international Granit Xhaka while we’ve failed with a move for Jamie Vardy.
A number of players have been linked with a move to the Emirates in recent weeks, however, the latest is a fairly ridiculous rumour suggesting Spurs youngster Dele Alli is on Wenger’s radar.
Giulianelli – who works for Gazzetta dello Sport – made the claim on Twitter after saying that we’d contacted our bitter North London rivals to ask about the availability of Alli.
The Italian journo tweeted:
Arsenal have asked Tottenham info about Dele Alli.
— Emanuele Giulianelli (@EmaGiulianelli) June 27, 2016
Now I know there is always plenty of speculation flying around at this time of year but this has to be right up there with one of the worst rumours of the summer window so far.
Firstly, obviously Tottenham wouldn’t sell Alli to us! He’s one of their golden boys and it would be ludicrous for Daniel Levy to even entertain the thought of selling to any club, never mind to their rivals.
Secondly, we don’t even need him. Alli played in the same position as Mesut Ozil last season and there’s no way he’d get in ahead of our German super-star. Even in a deeper role we have plenty of cover with Xhaka, Wilshere, Cazorla, Ramsey, Elneny and Coquelin all fighting for two spots, so I fail to see why we’d even be interested in Alli.
Giulianelli has been making some big transfer claims this summer but he needs to check his ‘sources’ if he wants to enhance his reputation as Alli to Arsenal is one of the stupidest rumours I’ve read in months.
The 20-year-old only joined Tottenham from MK Dons last year and has been a huge hit at White Hart Lane having scored 10 goals and providing 11 assists to help them finish THIRD in the Premier League last season – behind champions Leicester and of course Arsenal.
The youngster earned a place in the England squad for Euro 2016 but despite his excellent form for Spurs, he, like most others, completely flopped on the big stage as the Three Lions crashed out in embarrassing fashion to Iceland last night.