- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
Arsenal hoping to secure deal to sign £11.5m striker
According to a report in the Mirror, Arsenal will make an attempt to sign Inter Milan striker Steven Jovetic this summer with the Italians looking to offload the Montenegro international for £11.5m.
Jovetic was strongly linked with a move to Arsenal during his time at Fiorentina before he eventually secured a big-money move to Manchester City back in the summer of 2013.
The 26-year-old endured a difficult two years at the Etihad Stadium, scoring just 11 goals in 39 appearances, before being sent out on loan to Inter Milan with the Serie A giants having an obligation to pay £11.5m to make the move a permanent one this summer.
However, Jovetic struggled to establish himself at the San Siro and scored just 7 goals in his 28 appearances in all competitions so the Mirror claim that Inter are looking to offload the striker over the coming weeks and want to sell for the £11.5m they owe City.
The newspaper, who cite reports in Italy as their source, claim that Arsenal are now ready to renew our interest in Joventic and will make attempt to secure a deal over the coming weeks, but could face competition from Spartak Moscow for his signature.
Who knows how much truth there is behind these reports as there is plenty of speculation flying around these days but we know Arsene is in the market for another striker after losing Danny Welbeck for nine months.
With Jamie Vardy looking increasingly likely to snub his proposed move to Arsenal to stay at Leicester, the boss is going to need to look at alternatives and he may now be eyeing a swoop for Jovetic.
The Montenegro striker was excellent for Fiorentina between 2011-2013 but his career has nosedived in recent years so he’d be a hugely risky signing. Perhaps Wenger thinks he can get him back to his best and the reported price-tag of £11.5m will be appealing.
However, I think we need to be aiming higher than Jovetic. Arsenal need an established striker who’s among the elite in his position. Someone who’ll come straight in and be ready to do the business. Not a player who’s confidence is rock bottom and has flopped at City and Inter.