- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
Arsenal hold talks with agent as Wenger looks to sign defender
According to a report in the Mirror, Arsenal have held talks with the agent of Jeison Murillo as Arsene Wenger looks to push through a deal for the Inter Milan defender.
Wenger has already brought in midfielder Granit Xhaka but the boss is expected to sign at least two more players this summer with a centre-back rumoured to be on his hit-list.
Per Mertesacker and Gabriel failed to convince last season so we need to sign a reliable partner for Laurent Koscielny next year and it looks like Murillo is on Arsene’s radar.
The Mirror are citing reports coming from Sky Sports Italia that claim Arsenal have identified the Colombian international as a possible addition this summer and have now opened talks with the players agent about a potential move to the Emirates.
The newspaper suggests that with Bayern Munich and Zenit St Petersburg also showing a keen interest in the 24-year-old we’ve been forced to step-up our interest and Wenger is hoping to push through a deal before the likes of Bayern make their move.
Murillo only joined Inter last summer but enjoyed an excellent debut season at the San Siro and with the Milan giants needing to make up a £39m deficit to meet Financial Fair Play regulations, they could be ready to cash-in on the defender this summer.
It’s difficult to know how much truth there is behind this story as there is always plenty of speculation flying around these days but Murillo is highly-regarded in Italy so it wouldn’t surprise me if Wenger was showing an interest.
I certainly think we need to bring-in another centre-back this summer and ideally we’d sign someone with experience of English football but if we’re going to head out to Europe to land a defender, we could do a lot worse than going for Murillo.
However, I personally think Arsene will concentrate his efforts on bringing in another forward before he’ll finalise any deal for a defender. With Jamie Vardy looking increasingly likely to snub his proposed move to Arsenal we need to move on to other targets and I think we’ll see Wenger buy his new striker before going for a centre-back later in the window.