- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
Arsenal boss plotting swoop on Mourinho’s Man Utd – report
According to a report in the Mirror, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is plotting a shock swoop on Manchester United for utility man Daley Blind this summer.
Wenger has already kick-started his summer transfer business with the signing of Granit Xhaka but the boss is expected to bring in at least two more players and it appears he’s got his eye on a surprise name.
The Mirror claim that Arsene has identified Daley Blind as a possible new addition at Arsenal after it emerged that new United boss Jose Mourinho is ready to sell the 26-year-old this summer.
Blind was signed by Louis van Gaal as a central midfielder when he moved to Old Trafford in a £16m deal from Ajax two years ago but played much of last season as a centre-back while he’s also capable of playing at left-back if required.
We may have signed Xhaka but with Mikel Arteta, Mathieu Flamini and Tomas Rosicky all leaving we need more options in midfield and Blind looks like he’s on Wenger’s radar.
However, I think his versatility is the reason for our interest as Kieran Gibbs and Calum Chambers could both be leaving the Emirates this summer and the fact Blind can also play at centre-back and left-back makes him a tempting proposition.
The Mirror believe that Mourinho isn’t convinced by the Dutch international and is ready to let him go this summer but I have my doubts as to whether he’d even contemplate doing business with Wenger.
The two men hate each other and have had several run-ins over the past ten years so why on earth would Mourinho agree to sell us Blind? Even if a deal could somehow be agreed, would Blind even accept the move?
He’s a useful squad player but I don’t see any way Blind would be a regular starter at Arsenal. He wouldn’t get in ahead of Monreal at left-back and has very little chance of starting in midfield given the options we have in that department.
I’d be shocked if Wenger thought the 5ft 9in Dutchman was the answers to our centre-back problem so I see Blind as nothing more than a utility player if he was to come to Arsenal. He’d be a slightly more talented Flamini! Would he be happy with that sort of role? Doubtful.
Anyway, there is very little chance of a deal being agreed in any case so I don’t think anything will come of these reports.