- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
Arsenal set to bid for Belgium international attacker – reports
According to the Express, Arsenal are set to table a bid for Atletico Madrid attacker Yannick Carrasco after making a formal enquiry over a potential deal this summer.
Carrasco only joined Atletico last summer in a £15m deal from AS Monaco and he’s enjoyed a solid debut season in Spain having helped Diego Simeone’s men fight Barcelona all the way for the La Liga title before eventually finishing third.
The Belgian international also played a key role as Atletico reached the final of the Champions League and Carrasco netted the equaliser during the 1-1 draw against Real Madrid before cruelly losing in a penalty shoot-out.
The 22-year-old has seemingly caught the attention of Arsene Wenger as the Express are carrying a report which claims Arsenal have made contact with Atletico to discuss a potential deal.
The story originates from Italian journalist Emanuele Giulianelli who suggests that we’re now ready to make a formal offer for Carrasco with Atletico prepared to cash-in for around £19m, and Simeone has supposedly identified Lazio’s Antonio Candreva as a potential replacement.
There is plenty of speculation circulating these days so it remains to be seen how much truth there is behind these rumours but a move for Carrasco could make sense as we are likely to need another winger this summer.
Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are both being linked with moves away from Arsenal following disappointing campaigns so Carrasco could be being lined-up should one of those two depart.
The Belgian ace can play on either wing so he’d give Arsene plenty of options and we could deploy him on the right or left depending on who else is picked to start in attack or who the opposition is.
Sanchez found some form on the right wing during the closing stages of the season and with Carrasco predominantly a left-winger, perhaps Wenger is looking for him to compete with Iwobi on that flank next season.
However, the boss may want to act quickly if he wants to land Carrasco as he’s been named in the Belgian squad for Euro 2016 and a positive showing in France is only going to increase the competition for his signature.