- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
Arsenal make approach for £10m-rated French international – report
According to the Express, Arsenal have made an approach to Newcastle United over a potential deal for £10m-rated midfielder Moussa Sissoko.
The French international has always been a key player for the Toon since moving to St James’ Park on a six-and-a-half-year deal from Toulouse in January 2013.
But now Newcastle will be playing in the Championship next season, he’s expected to head the exodus on Tyneside and the midfielder has already refused to commit his future to the club.
Predictably Arsenal’s name has once again been linked with the Express reporting that we’ve made contact with Newcastle to discuss a potential £10m deal for the 26-year-old.
Sissoko is a player that’s regularly been linked with a move to Arsenal over the years, so I suppose we should have expected the speculation to resurface following Newcastle’s relegation from the Premier League.
Arsene Wenger is expected to bring in at least one central midfielder this summer as Mikel Arteta and Mathieu Flamini are set to leave next month, and Sissoko is the latest name to be linked.
The Frenchman has been playing on the right wing for Newcastle this season but he’s also capable of playing in the centre of the park, so he would be a useful player to have in the squad.
However, I’d personally be surprised if anything came of these latest reports as the likes of Granit Xhaka and N’Golo Kante are more realistic central midfield targets in my opinion.
Even if the newspapers thought Arsene wanted Sissoko as a potential replacement for Theo Walcott at right-wing, I’d still be surprised if he was the man we’d go for.
I suppose Sissoko could be a useful squad player and at £10m he’d be a decent buy, but I think we should be aiming a little higher with our expectations this summer. Reports also claim we’re in talks for Henrikh Mkhitaryan, now he’s a player we SHOULD be after….