- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
- Arsene Wenger offers injury update on Alexis Sanchez
Arsenal make approach for £10m-rated French international – report
According to the Express, Arsenal have made an approach to Newcastle United over a potential deal for £10m-rated midfielder Moussa Sissoko.
The French international has always been a key player for the Toon since moving to St James’ Park on a six-and-a-half-year deal from Toulouse in January 2013.
But now Newcastle will be playing in the Championship next season, he’s expected to head the exodus on Tyneside and the midfielder has already refused to commit his future to the club.
Predictably Arsenal’s name has once again been linked with the Express reporting that we’ve made contact with Newcastle to discuss a potential £10m deal for the 26-year-old.
Sissoko is a player that’s regularly been linked with a move to Arsenal over the years, so I suppose we should have expected the speculation to resurface following Newcastle’s relegation from the Premier League.
Arsene Wenger is expected to bring in at least one central midfielder this summer as Mikel Arteta and Mathieu Flamini are set to leave next month, and Sissoko is the latest name to be linked.
The Frenchman has been playing on the right wing for Newcastle this season but he’s also capable of playing in the centre of the park, so he would be a useful player to have in the squad.
However, I’d personally be surprised if anything came of these latest reports as the likes of Granit Xhaka and N’Golo Kante are more realistic central midfield targets in my opinion.
Even if the newspapers thought Arsene wanted Sissoko as a potential replacement for Theo Walcott at right-wing, I’d still be surprised if he was the man we’d go for.
I suppose Sissoko could be a useful squad player and at £10m he’d be a decent buy, but I think we should be aiming a little higher with our expectations this summer. Reports also claim we’re in talks for Henrikh Mkhitaryan, now he’s a player we SHOULD be after….