- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Club confirm deal as Arsenal agree terms with £34m star – reports
It looks like Granit Xhaka’s proposed move to Arsenal has moved a lot closer with reports today suggesting the player has now agreed personal terms while Borussia Monchengladbach have confirmed an official offer is on the table.
Xhaka has been hotly-tipped to join Arsenal in recent months with German outlet PR Online reporting earlier this week that a deal was imminent after we had supposed tabled an offer worth around £34m, with Arsene Wenger understood to be confident of getting his first signing wrapped-up by the end of the week.
Gladbach posted an update on their website today stating that a deal is now on the cards after confirming they have an agreement in place with an unnamed club for Xhaka but say the deal is still ‘pending’.
The club are quoted as saying by the Daily Star:
“There has been a specific offer for the Swiss midfielder [Xhaka].
“[We have] an agreement with the interested club but [it] is still pending.”
Obviously they can’t name the bidding club but it’s widely understood to be Arsenal so the transfer looks close and to add even more fuel to the fire Goal are claiming that we’ve also agreed personal terms with Xhaka.
The report says that the 23-year-old has opted to join Arsenal ahead of Manchester City and has now agreed terms after contract fixer Dick Law put forward a lucrative package for the midfielder.
Goal suggest that Gladbach are delaying completion of the deal until they sign a replacement but the move is expected to go through well before the start of Euro 2016.
So it looks like everything is now in place for us to secure Xhaka’s signing and as I said yesterday, I wouldn’t be surprised if everything was announced by the end of this week.
Assuming we have agreed personal terms and we are the bidding club that gas a deal is agreed in principal with Gladbach, then only formalities like a medical are preventing the transfer from going through.
With Flamini and Arteta leaving this summer we needed to bring in another central midfielder and Xhaka fits the bill perfectly. He’s got an excellent passing range and from what I’ve seen, he reminds me of Emmanuel Petit.
I think he’ll turn out to be an excellent signing but let’s not get too ahead of ourselves. We need to wait for the deal to be finalised and we know how Arsenal like to drag these things out!