- Arsenal boss lining-up big-money offer for Serie A hitman
- Arsenal star commits future to club after agreeing new contract
- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
Arsenal transfer target reveals he’s “always been an Arsenal fan”
The Express are carrying quotes from Jordan Lukaku confirming that he’s ‘always been an Arsenal’ as Arsene Wenger eyes a move for the Belgian defender.
Lukaku is the younger brother of Everton striker Romelu Lukaku and has made a successful career of his own as a left-back with Belgian side Oostende having joined the club from Anderlecht in 2013.
The Express claim that Wenger has made the 21-year-old one of his summer transfer targets as the boss looks to revamp the squad following a disappointing season.
Lukaku has now fuelled speculation of a move to the Emirates after revealing that he’s a long-time Arsenal fan and believes that the Premier League would suit his style of play.
However, the left-back may have already talked himself out of a move to North London after criticising Wenger’s transfer policy, which has seen the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Robin van Persie and Samir Nasri leave in recent years.
Lukaku is quoted as saying by the Express:
“Do I see myself as Premier League-bound? I don’t know, but it’s a league that would suit me,”
“I have always been a fan of Arsenal, but I am mad about every Premier League club as long as the club doesn’t have to fight relegation.”
“Arsenal has to go out and spend,” he said. “Arsenal has become a youth academy for other clubs.
“When Fabregas became top, he moved to Barcelona.
“When Van Persie became top and single-handedly guided Arsenal to a top four finish, he moved to Manchester United. He had begged for reinforcements.
“Same case with Samir Nasri. He asked for a bigger salary. Arsenal has to be less stingy.”
Fair play, he’s shown he is a true Arsenal fan by moaning about the clubs lack of spending, but it’s probably not the best idea to criticise the club and manager you’d like to sign for.
If Arsene’s overlooks these comments and decides to sign Lukaku this summer, he’ll most likely come in as a replacement for Kieran Gibbs with the England international expected to leave in search of regular action having lost his place to Nacho Monreal.