- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
Midfielder admits he could leave after Arsenal table £34m bid
It’s all kicking off with the Granit Xhaka to Arsenal rumours with the Evening Standard claiming we’ve submitted an official £33.8m bid while the player himself has admitted he may be off this summer.
Xhaka has been strongly linked with a move to the Emirates in recent months with the Express reporting last month that we’d agreed personal terms in principal with the midfielder while reports in Germany a few days ago suggested a deal with Borussia Mönchengladbach was close.
It appears things have now moved a step forward with the Evening Standard one of several media outlets who are claiming today that we’ve now submitted a formal offer worth £33.8m, which includes various add ons.
The 23-year-old is believed to have a buyout clause worth £19.7m in his contract but that doesn’t come in to effect until next summer so it looks as though Arsene Wenger is keen to bring him to North London now, and is ready to pay a premium to do so.
Our supposed offer still falls just short of the £35m that Gladbach have been demanding but the Standard suggest that Arsenal are confident a deal will be wrapped-up soon.
To add further fuel to the fire, Xhaka has admitted that while he’s not sure if there has been an offer from Arsenal, he’s keen to have his future resolved quickly and suggested he could play his final game for Gladbach this coming weekend.
Xhaka is quoted as saying on Wednesday by PR online:
“I would like to know before the European Championship, where I play next year.”
“I do not know if there is ever an offer. I owed four beautiful years in Mönchengladbach and the club a lot. If it is true what the media write, we sit down together and decide,”
“It may be that it is my last game [on Saturday], but while I’m here, I will concentrate fully on the Borussia,”
Now that we’ve secured Champions League qualification, it looks as though Wenger is keen to get his business done quickly and a new central midfielder is required with Flamini and Arteta set to leave next month.
Xhaka is known to be a real leader on the pitch and from what I’ve seen, he looks to be similar to Emmanuel Petit in his playing style. He has a lovely left foot and likes to spray passes around, while he also likes to put his foot in. 8 red cards in his career already tells it’s own storyt!
So things appear to be moving along nicely and unless we hit any last minute glitches, I think we’ll see Xhaka become our first signing of the summer with a deal likely to be announced before Euro 2016.