- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
- Arsene Wenger offers injury update on Alexis Sanchez
Defender left out of squad after Arsenal table formal bid – report
Bolton manager Jimmy Phillips confirmed he was forced to leave Rob Holding out of their final game of the season with the Express claiming it was after Arsenal had tabled a formal offer for the defender.
Holding has been with Bolton his entire career and came through the youth ranks before breaking in to their first team earlier in the season.
The 20-year-old has excelled for a struggling Bolton side and was named as their Player of the Season in a campaign that’s seen them relegated to League One.
The defender was once again due to start for the Wanderers in their final game of the season against Fulham on Sunday but he was surprisingly left out of the squad as Bolton lost 1-0.
Interim boss Phillips has now revealed that he was asked by the clubs board to leave Holding out of the team and he suggested it was due to the player being on the verge of securing a move away from the Macron Stadium.
“I was asked by the board of directors not to play him yesterday,” Phillips is quoted as saying by the Express
“He was in the line-up on Friday morning but that’s as much as I know.
“It would appear some clubs are interested in him somewhere down the line.
“I think the wheels are still in motion on that one and it’ll be a few days before we get an outcome.”
While the Bolton boss refused to reveal any names, the Express claim that it was Arsenal who tabled a formal offer for Holding on Friday afternoon, so it appears we’re closing in on the youngsters signature.
Holding’s main position is at centre-back but he’s capable of playing anywhere across the back four so if we do end up signing him, it will be interesting to see where Arsene Wenger sees him fitting in to our squad.
I very-much doubt Arsene sees him as a first team regular just yet so perhaps he’s being eyed as a potential replacement for Calum Chambers with rumours suggesting he could be sent out on loan next season?