- Arsenal handed huge boost ahead of Bayern Munich showdown
- Confirmed: Arsenal boss charged with misconduct by FA
- Arsenal eyeing £34.5m deal for Portuguese international
- Arsenal trio surprisingly named in BBC Team of the Week
- Arsene Wenger could be banned for Arsenal’s crucial trip to Chelsea
- Wenger criticises Arsenal star after poor display v Burnley
- [Video] Arsenal boss pushes official in tunnel following sending off
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-1 Burnley: Xhaka flops, Sanchez shines
- Video: Arsenal 2-1 Burnley: Last Gasp Sanchez panenka pen wins it
- Teams: Arsenal v Burnley: Bellerin on bench, Gabriel starts
Defender left out of squad after Arsenal table formal bid – report
Bolton manager Jimmy Phillips confirmed he was forced to leave Rob Holding out of their final game of the season with the Express claiming it was after Arsenal had tabled a formal offer for the defender.
Holding has been with Bolton his entire career and came through the youth ranks before breaking in to their first team earlier in the season.
The 20-year-old has excelled for a struggling Bolton side and was named as their Player of the Season in a campaign that’s seen them relegated to League One.
The defender was once again due to start for the Wanderers in their final game of the season against Fulham on Sunday but he was surprisingly left out of the squad as Bolton lost 1-0.
Interim boss Phillips has now revealed that he was asked by the clubs board to leave Holding out of the team and he suggested it was due to the player being on the verge of securing a move away from the Macron Stadium.
“I was asked by the board of directors not to play him yesterday,” Phillips is quoted as saying by the Express
“He was in the line-up on Friday morning but that’s as much as I know.
“It would appear some clubs are interested in him somewhere down the line.
“I think the wheels are still in motion on that one and it’ll be a few days before we get an outcome.”
While the Bolton boss refused to reveal any names, the Express claim that it was Arsenal who tabled a formal offer for Holding on Friday afternoon, so it appears we’re closing in on the youngsters signature.
Holding’s main position is at centre-back but he’s capable of playing anywhere across the back four so if we do end up signing him, it will be interesting to see where Arsene Wenger sees him fitting in to our squad.
I very-much doubt Arsene sees him as a first team regular just yet so perhaps he’s being eyed as a potential replacement for Calum Chambers with rumours suggesting he could be sent out on loan next season?