- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
- Ratings: Hat-trick hero Ozil shines as Arsenal thrash Ludogorets
- Video: Arsenal 6-0 Ludogorets: Ozil bags hat-trick in rout
- Teams: Arsenal v Ludogorets: Gibbs & Coquelin start
- [Tweet] Arsenal ace ‘can’t wait’ to play as he closes in on comeback
Wenger confirms this player will face City but what about Wilshere?
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Gabriel will start in defence against Manchester City on Sunday but he hasn’t made a decision over Jack Wilshere’s involvement just yet.
With Per Mertesacker ruled out for the final two games of the season with a hamstring injury that he suffered against Norwich last Saturday there is a void to fill in defence this weekend.
Gabriel is the obvious choice but with the Brazilian enduring a couple of difficult games last month, some have suggested we could try Calum Chambers in his more natural centre-back position against Man City.
However, speaking to Arsenal.com at his press conference today, Wenger has confirmed that Gabriel is going to come in and replace Mertesacker in the back four on Sunday.
We lost Per Mertesacker, the season is over for him because of his hamstring. That means Gabriel will come in for him.
Jack Wilshere has put himself back in contention for a starting spot after making his return with a cameo appearance off the bench against Sunderland two weeks ago but Arsene says he hasn’t decide whether the midfielder will start against City.
Arsene told Arsenal.com:
on whether Wilshere could face City…
I haven’t decided yet, I don’t know.
While we need a win to try and catch second placed Tottenham, a point at City would actually be a good result as it keeps us in control of third place and automatic Champions League qualification.
For that reason, I think Wenger will play Mohamed Elneny alongside Francis Coquelin in midfield on Sunday meaning Wilshere will have to wait to make his first start of the season.